sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Ford F-350: 1997 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Super Duty/ Brakes/ Suspect

1997 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Super Duty/ Brakes/ Suspect a bad RABS Valve but want a way to confirm/ No MIL/
Did a brake job based upon complaint/ Pulled wheels and inspected/ front calipers were replaced because chrome was coming off pistons/ Rear axle had never been apart/ drums were replaced/ wheel cylinders were replaced/ shoes were replaced/ hardware kits/ adjusters were replaced/
Adjuster on right rear had not worked in some time because cable was mutalated/ Left rear brakes were worn out/
Brakes reassembled and bled well/ ABS Valve was bled/
Front brakes are working/ Temperature 200 degrees/
Rears are working to stop wheels when jacked up in are but not when under a load/ Temperature 95 degrees/ Ambient temperature was 90 degrees/
Keith

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's much more likely to be a collapsed rear brake hose. Brake hoses can collapse internally and not allow proper fluid flow though them. If the rear brake hose is collapsed then it won't be allowing enough fluid pressure to go to the wheel cylinders which will obviously cause the brakes to not be very effective.

What I would do is have a helper pump and hold the brake pedal just like when bleeding, crack one of the lines to the rear wheel cylinders at the brake hose or open a bleeder and see how much fluid comes out and how strong it is. Close that, have the helper pump again and then crack the line before it goes into the rear brake hose. If there is a difference in pressure and amount of fluid spray then the rear hose is collapsed and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have great flow/ What I have is a pedal that feels there is air in the line and no matter how many times I pump it it doesnt get rock hard. It does get stiffer but not hard

Do you have a brake pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To let you know it was a bad RABS. Your suggestions were in the order of good diagnostics. I didn't have the time to test pressure but I knew that wasnt the problem. Thanks for your assistance.

You're welcome!