Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

MGB GT: hi i have a 1976 mgb gt been having problems clonking

hi i have a 1976 mgb gt been having problems clonking noise when changing gears and what i would call rabbit hopping when approaching or stopping at intersections i think it is in the differential hope u can help thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

roy :

Good Evening my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you this evening. Does the issue still happen when the clutch is pushed in and you are trying to stop??? The noise could be transmission or differential but lets try to narrow it down by getting some answers to some questions as we go along. Roy

Customer:

hi ROY

roy :

Hello

Customer:

Hi Roy no it does not do it when clutch is pushed in thanks steve

roy :

If it does not do it with the clutch depressed, then I doubt it is the differential.

roy :

It sounds like the clunking may be a motor mount worn out or broken but the hopping is the the other issue. Does the trans shift smooth throuhg all the gears??

Customer:

Hi roy yes trans is very smooth through all the gears.But i will check motor mount i can create the clunking when car is jacked up by moving rear wheels sharply backwards and forwards either in gear or out thanks steve.

roy :

Let me know what you find. Please hit the smiley button so I get credit for my answers. Roy

Customer:

Hi roy motor mounts ok have u got any other suggestions thanks steve

roy :

the noise may be inside the transmission. Did you have anyone drive it to help with the diag?? Is the motor running ok for the hopping??

Customer:

Hi roy motor running good .Yes had some one drive it it sounds the hopping and clunking when comming to a stop is in the rear or diff thanks steve

roy :

Ok, new info. Did they remove the cover and inspect?? If that is the case, it could be a chipped gear on the ring and pinion or a spider gear. Roy

Customer:

no cover has not been removed yet.I have been told that there should b half a gear movment in diff there is more

roy :

Thats a bit much. But the story will be told when the rear is opened up and inspected. Dont forget to hit the smiley button so I get credit for my answers. Have a good day Roy

Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years