Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Land Rover LR3: I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3 with Navigation.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3 with Navigation. I replaced the battery on the car 3 days ago and since then my radio displays "PHONE MODE" and the radio functions and the radio itself do not work. As far as I know I do not have Bluetooth on the vehicle. Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Brendan Block replied 3 years ago.

Fidhle007 :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a BMW tech, hopefully I can help you today!

Fidhle007 :

How long did you touch the battery cables together for when you were doing the "Reset?"

First off, thanx for your reply.

I touched the battery cables with a clothes hanger wire for about 15-30 seconds.

Fidhle007 :

Ok that should have been sufficient to reset everything

Fidhle007 :

The last trick I've heard about is to press and hold the End Call button on the steering wheel for awhile (I've heard people say it takes 60 seconds!)

Fidhle007 :

but I'm afraid you might be headed off to the dealer for a new steering wheel switch

Fidhle007 :

Sorry for the bad news!

Since I do not have bluetooth on the vehicle I do not have the End Call Button on the steering wheel. Is this problem in anyway related to a fuse

Also... when I rotate the Volume knob it shows the Phone volume going up and down as well as once in a while I get displayed "Low Battery mode"

Fidhle007 :

Sorry to take so long to get back to you! I didn't get a notification about your reply until just now, I apologize!

Fidhle007 :

I think they are performing some site maintemaintenance this week, please bear with me!

Fidhle007 :

I'm on my phone right now, I'll be back with you shortly.

Fidhle007 :

Ok, I'm back with some mixed news...

Fidhle007 :

The "Low Battery Mode" (It's called "Low Power Mode" on my technical literature) is a mode the car enters when the engine is not running. There are three possible issues that could be causing your issue, 1) Bad Ignition Switch: This is doubtful in my mind but it could be causing the faults in the Radio, especially "Low Power Mode"

Fidhle007 :

2) Bad or Failing Alternator: I'm not sure what led you to change the battery but if there was/is a charging issue it almost ALWAYS will affect the radio first.

Fidhle007 :

3) Battery Not Registered: I believe this to be the most plausible. A lot of modern cars need to have the battery "Registered" with the vehicle control modules via a Dealer-Level Diagnostic Computer to ensure proper operation of the various electronic systems (and there are a lot of them!) Not doing so can cause voltage spikes or drops in the charging system (whether real or just perceived by the control modules) and can create issues which would again primarily affect the radio and related electronics first.

Fidhle007 :

This will require a dealer or specialist visit as the Land Rover diagnostic computer will be needed. Once they're in your system they should be able to reset everything anyway so you should be good to go!

Fidhle007 :

I hope this helps! Please leave me a positive rating and forgive my tardiness in responding! Your rating is for me and my knowledge alone and has no reference on the site and it's performance. I have already sent a report to the site about not receiving your reply!

Fidhle007 :

Thanks again and the best of luck!

Thank you for getting back to me.... While this has been a stressful challenge, mainly a nuisance due to having to ride without even the clock showing or the hope that someone would have a solution to what to me seemed to be just a radio, all research ended with closed doors. My question to you was in hopes that there would be a professional that has dealt with a great amount of issues and with hopeless people as myself in this situation with a solution on hand. I received your first contact past 10 PM that left me with "sorry about the bad news". Since I was not looking for compassion on this site, that is all I got and no attempt on your end to research the problem. After you last message I appreciate the effort to provide somewhat technical info however that was not related to my issue. After few attempts to fix the "PHONE MODE" issue, the solution was simple: REMOVAL OF ONE OF THE RADIO FUSES (IN THIS CASE #XXXXX) FOR FEW MINUTES WHILE RADIO RESET ITSELF! I am glad this simple thing resolved my enormous problem! As for you request to leave a positive rating, I would love to, however for what? I was considering the option of replacing the stereo ($1,000+), something that should have been resolved with some past experience. I will be more than happy to provide you with the best rating, but resolve a problem for me.... My exterior mirrors are not working at all, not even tilting when backing up . It seems as if they do not get any power. I checked the fuse, an it is ok. What else should I do to fix this issue?

Fidhle007 :

I'm sorry you feel my service is poor, I spent several hours trying to find a solution but all the technical literature I found was based on bad phone switches on the steering wheel. I had no way of knowing that you didn't have the phone switches, I would assume they are standard whether the option is installed or not. As for your mirrors, I'm just going to opt out and let someone else handle this. Your negative rating actually punishes me on this site so I would rather you leave me no rating at all so I can find you another expert better suited to your needs.

Fidhle007 :

I only get paid if you accept my answer so if you will remove the poor rating I will send this to another expert.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX The previous has Opted out of this question as above...

As regards XXXXX XXXXX faults you have - it does indeed seem like they have no power at all to them - but there can be different causes for this - As you say you have checked the fuses, that rules that out -

The best thing now then is for me to give you a specific diagnostic chart that you can work through - It is a complicated system - so we need to at least start here. You will note it mentions the use of a DTC scanner - I assume you don't have that - so work with the other parts where you can. IF necessary it may come that you have to have a plug in DTC test done to find the fault... Any LR shop can do that for you but for now on a DIY basis - - work through as far as you can with the info I will give you -

For the diagnosis chart - click below to enlarge:

Further to the above- there is TSB ( tech service bulletin) re the mirrors not returning to their original position - but this is mirrors not working at all ....So - a common fault too on these is chaffing / damage to the wiring where it goes through the tubing from the car body -through to the doors. We see this very often -on both its a case of stripping those open to check - its worth checking before having any diagnostic tests done of any sorts...and then go from there. Please be aware - if you see that there is wire damage inside the door through the holes in the metal, there are airbag systems inside the doors- special procedures are needed if you were to remove the panels etc - I can help you further if it comes to that ---

But those are the starting places for you on the mirrors - things you can check before having plug in diagnostics done-to check for module / control computer faults etc - Let me know how you get on.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all - Please be aware we ( you and I ) are in different time zones - so if you should reply and need more info from me - please be patient, I will always get back to you as / if needed....

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, thank you for the above answer, I will attempt it shortly.

First, I have run a diagnostic with a basic DTC Scanner with no codes read.

Also,I purchased the car about 3 months ago and the mirrors never worked since I got it. I have noticed that the window on the passenger side was replaced, could it have unplugged something in the process?

And, just checking again on fuses.... How many are there for the mirrors?

Is there a circuit breaker that I can check or exchange from another place?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Allen -

Thank you for your reply..

I dont know what type of scanner you have there Allen, but most "basic" ones are only for engine management - maybe trans -and braking systems etc.... they won't connect into the modules for the likes of the mirrors etc.... so do bear that in mind. Landrover or similar dealer level equipment is needed for that - those types of diagnostics..

Re the window you mention - yes, this is somewhat ominous - you could very well have the issue caused by someone not doing the job properly - leaving connections off or damage to them / wires etc - It will have to be checked out -

I have uploaded this for you HERE Allen.... click on that - that may help / will help with the components for the system -

This link / info HERE - click on that...and that gives you the relevant fuse info to check as well...

There are no circuit breakers - just the fuses as above.

Working through as above should get some progress on this for you Allen ( if not find the whole cause ) - it is the most you can do without plug in equipment as above to interrogate the control module for the system....

I do hope that helps you further -

Best Rgds , MIKE.

Please do click on the OK ~ Excellent ratings service for me now at this point, as that is how Im credited for helping you -- Thank you..

You can get back to me anytime you might need / wish -after clicking the Ok ratings as above - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out -

Thank you..

Rgds - MIKE.