Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

olds regency: I bought an 97 olds regency , it has all the

Customer Question

I bought an 97 olds regency , it has all the bells and whistles (unfortunately) but the biggest problem it has is it doesnt blow air thru the dash vents . It blows thru the lower and defrost just fine so I assume it's a vacuum operated door but where are the vacuum lines and how many are there ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi I’m Tom and I’m here to assist you with your issue today. Before I get you a fully researched answer, I have to ask you a couple preliminary questions.This is usually caused by a faulty air/mix motor was this checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No and my repair manual doesn't mention this . Where is it located ?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking of a newer year sorry .here is a "programmer" under the glove compartment that has a bundle of vacuum hoses running to it. The black hose is the vacuum from the engine and the other colors run to the door actuators. Remove the 7mm nut in the center of the harness connector and gently remove the connector from the controller. Inspect the nipples of the controller they tend to get soft and leak vacuum. Start the engine and be sure you have vacuum at the black hose and you can use a small tube to direct the vacuum to the different hoses to see if the air direction changes as it should. Refer to the diagram below.Often the connection at the programmer is loose enough that it will leak so place one or two small washers under the nut, secure the nut and see if the mode direction improves. In extreme cases the programmer will need to be replaced but that is very expensive so chase the vacuum leaks first.These links will help.Let me know what you find.
ClickHere
This is under and to the right of the glove compartment
ClickHere
This link will also help.
ClickHere
Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay , thanks . Should I remove the glove box , would it make things easier ? The way the weather is looking I may not get to it today , will you be available tomorrow ?

Thanks ,

Gary

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes I also remove the glove box to give myself more room.Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just as I thought ... pouring down rain ! Never seen so much rain up here in SD but anyway , how does this process work ? Do I pay now for the info received so far or wait until I get a chance to dig into the car ?

I appreciate the help Tom !!

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
You can pay know and I will continue for no further charge until its fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally got a look at this thing and sure nuff a couple of the nipples are soft and cracked but also one the nubs on the outside of the female connector is open , seems like it should have a cap or be plugged but maybe not !? So , from what I gather I will need to bypass both male and female connectors and butt connect each colored tube correct ?

By the way , I am getting vacuum from the engine but I do not own a vacuum gauge so I'll assume it's sufficient .

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes thats correct good job its a tough repair.Yes the vacuum should be fine if its strong.Once those nipples are fixed you should be fine.Glad to help .Im here if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to try and get this done today , will you be around Tom ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tom ,

It seems something with the billing went wrong and I was double charged . I believe I got that straightened out but I want to make sure you have been paid including a tip !?

Please let me know that all is well with that ?

Gary

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
I see I was paid but do not see the tip unfortunately they must have taken that back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll call them and take care of that ! I got rained out again the other day but will have use of a barn this weekend so hopefully I can get this finished and will holler back at ya !
Gary
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem I will be here for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Tom ,

Well ... the vacuum lines are done but still nothing comes out of the dash vents . That was disappointing but oh well , gotta move on .

The 1/8" rubber vacuum hose I used is new but the I.D. is very slightly larger than the colored lines so I wouldn't think it would leak but maybe so eh ? Maybe try some silicone ??

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Its possible make sure there are absolutely no leaks and we can continue from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay , will do ! All I have here is some blue RTV , that should work .

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes that should work .Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to let it cure and get a skin on it for a few hours and will get back to you , got my fingers crossed .....

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good I will be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Tom ,

I just got off the phone JustAnswer and according to them you did receive a bonus from me so I just don't know what is going on there ??

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me double check it just might have not showed up on my end thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

BINGO !! The dash vents now blow air , not very cool air but they work !! I did notice that the two vents on the driver side put out quite a bit more air than the pass. side no matter what I did !?

Hopefully it just needs refridgerant to get it up to speed .

Thanks ,

Gary

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Anytime. Glad it's fixed a refrigerant re charge should take care of that issue.