Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

I need to rewire solenoid pack for a Warn M8000 Winch

I have a Warn M8000 winch and I need help rewiring the solenoid pack. I need to rewire it in such a way that will work with my in cab winch control. The aftermarket winch control comes with ground, in and out wires. I need a clear easy to follow wiring diagram. I've already managed to burnout 2solenoids, so the clearer and easier the better. 

Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm happy to help you out with this - can you scan the diagrams and post them for me? I can draw a generic diagram if we need to, not a problem, but to start with what you have would be easier. How big is your truck - weight-wise? Let me know how you would like to proceed. Canuck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Canuck.

Below is the 5wire control pack set up provided by Warn customer service. My guesses are that Green controls spool in, Black controls spool out, Brown is ground and I have no clue what the white one does. From my research Warn switched from their 3wire set up to a 5wire set up

for better safety in regards XXXXX XXXXX I don't know if emitting the white wire from the diagram will cause problems. And I was told if wired correctly the 5wire should work fine with the aftermarket in-cab winch control.

The way I had it is I connected the ground for all solenoids (brown in this diagram) directly to the ground wire coming from the in-cab winch control. There is another ground eyelet connection on the other end. Is this wrong?

Also the winch is going in front of a Jeep Wrangler TJ. Stock they weigh about 8000lbs but with mods and what not I would guess a bit more.

Also here is a wiring diagram provided by the in cab winch control vendor(the12voltguy)

Please let me know if you need any more info.

attachment.php

http://s24.postimg.org/62thyulkl/ALL_9_5_TI_NEW.jpg

OK - I'm going to do a bit of research on this... Back to you soon. Canuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. No problem take your time. I'm still waiting on two new solenoids to arrive. Here is a link hope this helps with your research http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJ5yX-ULuQ

Hi there - the solenoids you are replacing - do they look like the ones in the video? The picture you sent of the 5 wire system is too small to read - I had a look on 12 volts website, but I couldn't find the wiring diagram that you sent me. If those are the solenoids WARN is using, this is bad news... and the reason I say that is that they look an awful lot like Ford starter relays, which aren't really designed for continuous use like what you would find in a winch application. I'm not sure what the point of a 5 wire system would be unless they are adding another relay to reduce the current flow through the switch in the cab

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it the same exact solenoid and I know that it is not rated at 100% duty and I do not need it to be. I very occasionally use it and when I do I rarely have to pull for long periods of time.

Here is a better link for the 12voltguy diagram: http://s12.postimg.org/jncpe831p/ALL_9_5_TI_NEW.jpg

and the 5wire set up:

http://s11.postimg.org/443s08fzn/Wiring_Mid_Frame_5_Wire_NEW_WIRE_COLOR_page_1.jpg

and if it helps here is a 3wire set up:

http://s22.postimg.org/yxsx0t76p/Wiring_Mid_Frame_3_Wire_internal_us

e_only_pa.jpg

sorry about the quality and orientation of the pictures they were as I received from Warn.

Hi there - on the pic from the 12 volt guy, the wiring for the low current control circuits are now parallel instead of series
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I'm not electrically savvy so I have no clue what that means. Would changing the solenoids to a 3wire set up work?

I have to go offline here for a few hours, but I think we can work this out. So 12 volt guy gave you the diagram, but doesn't offer any explanation as to what the white wire does... Is the winch on the jeep now? You shouldn't have to switch around any of the big cables. I'll explain a bit more later. Sorry I have to go - TTYL.

Canuck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem. And well he didn't really provide much help to be honest. No it is off and apart. Thanks.

Hi there - one of the first diagrams you sent me attachment.php has the correct wiring for your in-cab controller. Green is IN black is OUT, and brown is ground. The white is a "Always Hot" wire. It goes on the solenoid pack at the end of the positive battery cable. and the wire with the eyelet goes to ground.

Looking at how the winch works and what is happening... The big picture is that in an electric motor there is an armature - the thing that rotates and there are field windings. The whole thing is electromagnetic. An electromagnetic filed is created in the armature, and an electromagnetic field is created in the field windings. Repulsion between the two fields cause the armature to rotate. When you wan the motor to turn in the other direction, the poof the field winding is reversed. This is one of the reason you need all those solenoids - to chance polarity. The other reason the solenoids are required is to use low current switching (your in-cab controller) to control a large electrical load, which is the motor. Otherwise, you would need really serious switches and huge wires running into the cab to make this happen

Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
Hi there - did you get it figured out? Let me know if you need some more assistance. Canuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so green and black would connect to the in-cab controller but what about the white? As you've said its an always hot wire. The warn handheld controller requires this but the new in cab controller only has three wires. In out and ground. So I'm not sure where to connect the wire.

I'm sorry I keep asking questions!

OK - so I think I am misunderstanding - you have two controllers - one in the cab, and the hand-held? One is three wire, and one is 5 wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My bad for not being clear. The original hand held controller provided by Warn that connects to the housing of the solenoid pack is controlled via 5wires. But the aftermarket in-cab controller only has three. In out and ground.

So, you want to use the in-cab only? I think I have a diagram that I can scan for you tomorrow AM. TTYL. Canuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes precisely. Thank you.

graphic
Hey - thanks for the bonus. Did you get everything working? Canuck