Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

ford escort lx 2.0: 1998 ford lx 2.0 excort problem car wont

Customer Question

1998 ford lx 2.0 excort problem car wont idle in. drive it cut out it idle in park reverse and neutuel. ichange turk convertor selnoid.new one disconnect the wire going to tranmissiom on current. what wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

From what you have described here it sounds like the vehicle isn't idling or running when placed in drive but does idle when placed in any other gear.

In some cases this may be a possible fault with the torque converter itself or possibly the transmission input shaft or another mechanical issue in the transmission itself.This usually isn't an electrical fault if it will idle in the other gears it is placed in but this may be a computer fault not commanding up the idle when placed in drive if you can keep it running in drive with your foot on the gas and it doesn't seem boggy.

If you cannot keep it running or it bogs way down this usually indicates an internal transmission mechanical fault since the TCC solenoid has been replaced and unplugged and this would need to be further checked/tested to locate the fault.In some cases this may require dropping out the transmission and disassembling it for diagnosis and repair.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am replying to your answer I check wire in the tranmmison when the cover was off it with my probe light I put the ground connection on the positive side of the battery and it light up.but when I put it on the negative side it did not light up.which is the correct way to check for current.i pull out the computer and I will check the junk yard for one would it need to be reprogram and how do I check my wire harness.to peter pete 190.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi pete I am waiting for an answer to my follow up question down below.thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the question I am asking is in my reply.to pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.

Is this a light green wire with black stripe that is plugged in to the transmission for the torque converter solenoid on this vehicle?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its not getting to the transmission.

When i put it in a negative side it do not light up.

I want to know where i can check and how many connections are there in the computer. i don't know which one is for the transmission in the computer connection. Some light up some don't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to the junk shop to get an old computer.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know if the computer resolves this.The wire I was looking for should be a light green with black stripe at the transmission itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the wire to the tranny has a light green with black stripe but no current to when I check it. if put the probe connection on the positive side of the battery it light but when place on the negative side it do not light up.the cumputor from the junk yard the car did the same thing it wont idle in any drive gear. but it idle in park reverse and neutral. how do I get power to the computer connection.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,according to my info you should have a ground signal on this wire here and not a power signal.The computer provides a ground signal to actuate this solenoid and the computer has been replaced so next I would check and make sure the wiring from the computer to this solenoid is o.k. and isn't shorted anywhere to ground.The wire can become damaged in some cases and may cause the solenoid to stay engaged and can cause this here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if that wire is damage can I run a wire from the computer connection to the tranny light green wire with black stripe and at the computer connection which color wire should I tap into.to pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If it is the wire itself you should be able to run a new wire from the computer to the transmission but make sure it is the correct gage wire.I mis read your post above,are you saying when you take your test light and hook it up to the positive side of the battery then test this wire the test light lights up then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes when I put the testlight on the positive side of the battery it light up but on the negative side it do not light up that is the connection going into the tranny. on the computer connection which color wire should I tap into.i count the connection pins on the computer there thirteen pins in each row .there four rows on the each side of the bolt connection.is there a connection going into the computer and one coming out. where do I run my connection wire.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.my diagrams show two different wires possible for this TCC solenoid.The one that it should actually be is a gray wire with white stripe.This wire should have voltage on it when the torque converter is commanded on by the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will check for the wire with grey and white stripe and see if it got voltage when the car is is running or the switch is on.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi pete I pull the wire going into tranny the one that got light up when I place the light probe on the positive side of the battery and nothing on the negative side ,I have the wire in my hand now there are seven wires in the connection the colors are orange, blue, brown, purple/withwhitestripe, pink/withbluestripe, black/with brownstripe, and a white/with blue or greenstripe it hard to tell.which one should I get voltage to, and whichcolor should be for the turk convertor senoid and which color on on the computer connection should I run the wire to for turkconvertor senoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi pete I pull the wire going into tranny the one that got light up when I place the light probe on the positive side of the battery and nothing on the negative side ,I have the wire in my hand now there are seven wires in the connection the colors are orange, blue, brown, purple/withwhitestripe, pink/withbluestripe, black/with brownstripe, and a white/with blue or greenstripe it hard to tell.which one should I get voltage to, and whichcolor should be for the turk convertor senoid and which color on on the computer connection should I run the wire to for turkconvertor senoid. I gave a great rating on the you gave I am learning a lot.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You will only have power on the transmission solenoid wires when the computer is commanding one of them on,this is why when you connect the test light to ground you have no light but when you connect it to positive you would have a light on the test light light up.

From what you have described it sounds like the transmission wiring and computer are o.k. and this may still be an internal mechanical fault in the transmission itself causing this.

Unfortunately my diagrams are not matching up with what you have posted above for wire colors.If you want I can opt out and put this question back on the list to see if others can assist more just let me know.

Thanks Pete