Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

if I change out the ignition switch do I need to take to a

if I change out the ignition switch do I need to take to a dealer to be programmed?

what is the year, make and model of your vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2003 chevy malibu

You can do the procedure yourself after replacing the ignition switch.

1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you think its the switch? if the dash does not come on then the car will not start by working the switch on and off the dash will eventually come on and the car will start.

Yes, that is due to worn contacts on the ignition switch. replacing it will resolve the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your services, didn't want to spend money if didn't need a switch.

I understand on replacing parts needlessly.

Have a safe Memorial Day tomorrow! please dont forget to rate service. thank you