Autotech58
Autotech58, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years experience in the automotive repair industry with experience with many makes and models.
66697789

My 2012 GV sport is fitted with 17 inch rims.

Customer Question

My 2012 GV sport is fitted with 17 inch rims.can i put 16 inch rims?
Category: Car
Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

Well....

I have never tried to put 16 inch wheels on a vehicle that was originally equipped with 17 inch wheels - except by mistake! Laughing

When I did this, I realized my mistake when the wheels would not fit over the brake calipers. So, I would tend to agree with the tire stores.

On the other hand, different style wheels will fit differently also. Some are deeper than others, besides being different in diameter alone. So it may be possible to find a 16 inch wheel that will work.

In any case, I highly recommend that when you go to purchase the wheels, get the seller to actually try one on both the front and on the rear before buying them. The front wheels and rear wheels usually have different clearances. If you are buying them used, make sure you have the option of returning them and get a full refund if they will not fit. Make sure they will fit over the brakes and backing plates. I have even seen people that have bought wheels only to find out that they interfere with steering knuckle, tie rod, strut, or spring clearance. Many NEW tire and wheel retailers will not have a problem with "test fitting" for you if they think you will purchase them if they fit.

If the tire stores are telling you that they will not clear the rotors. they are probably correct, but you still have the option that we use here in Missouri..."Show Me"!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you have never tried it,why am i being charged for for something i hsve already tried?

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I thought you were offering to pay for PROFESSIONAL input/advice. As a professional automotive technician, I do not make a practice out of performing vehicle modifications. I can only advise you based on what I have seen or done during my 38 + year career, having made a living at working on THOUSANDS of vehicles which consist of pretty much every make and model imaginable. This is what you are being charged for.

If you want specific information about making specific modifications, to a specific vehicle model, manufactured in a specific year and using specific parts (in this case, a particular size wheel of "probably" a specific manufacturer), then you might be expecting a little more than anyone on this site can offer. - Way too many variables involved here.

However, if you find the advice I have provided to be unacceptable, let me know and I will gladly opt out of the question and open it up to other experts to see if anyone else can tell you any differently. (There is no extra charge for this)

Let me know what else I can do for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you should have made it clear that you don't practice modifications & should of made it clear & not charge me on something you are not experienced in or something out of your league.Firstly make sure i don't get charged again in the future & if you can refund my $45 dollars would be appreciated.Thanks for your effort.Cheers

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

I will submit your request to customer service. However, I do not work for the web site, nor do I have any control over what you are charged.

But just as a gesture of "good will", I will also explain to you that if you are expecting to find a professional technician that has actual experience with putting 16 inch wheels on a 2012 Grand Vitara that was originally equipped from the factory with 17 inch wheels, you are VERY unlikely to find one. Particularly, since the vehicle is only one year old and there are only a handful of automotive technicians in the entire world that have had ANY "hands-on" experience with that specific vehicle AT ALL, let alone, have actual experience in performing the specific modifications you are asking about.

Then consider that most of the automotive technicians that DO change wheels from their original factory wheels, are installing LARGER wheels, NOT smaller ones....since this is the current market trend....this makes your chances of finding someone who has actually done it "slim to none".

So the problem is not that I do not have the experience or expertise necessary to give you "good" advice on the subject. The problem here is due to the variables involved.

Good luck just the same.