Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Check engine light was on for a

Customer Question

2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Check engine light was on for a couple of weeks and then went off. Now on again. Gas cap checked and is okay. The 'dealer' said it was an oxygen sensor. Does this need to be replaced now and what is the average cost? I have a warranty - should this be covered by the warranty.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Did you happen to get any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "p-codes")?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the dealer says he has the code and for me to check w my mechanic to see the cost vs taking it to his mechanic for the day.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Without the actual "p-code" I cannot confirm the Oxygen Sensor is the actual problem.

However, I can answer the rest of your questions...

On this vehicle, there are 4 Oxygen Sensors (this is where that p-code would come in handy!), one before the Converter and one after the Converter on each side of the engine. The Front sensor sells for around $175 and the Rear sensor for around $297. The Labor Time Guide calls for a half-hour to replace either one. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.

As for the warranty- More than likely No. Usually oxygen sensors are not covered by warranty. These are fairly common wear-and-tear fail items.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will check and see if I can get the P code for you.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
The p-code will just help us confirm IF the O2 sensor is the problem, and which one to replace. No need to replace them all when only one is faulty. But I think we covered most of your question here.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE MY SERVICE. Thank-you!
(Rating my answer does NOT close this thread - follow-up questions are always Free! Even after you Rate!)

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this something that needs replacing right away?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's not something that "needs" to be addressed immediately, however, I'd strongly recommend more sooner than later. The inputs from these sensors are use by the on-board computer to calculate the correct air/fuel ratios for the current engine conditions. So, while the sensor is faulty, there is a strong chance you may see a drop in fuel economy. Over time, if left unrepaired, this very well may lead to premature Catalytic Converter failure. So... the sooner the better, but it's not an immediate threat.