Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes Benz SL 320: Car windows dont go back up..electric....

Car windows don't go back up..electric.... Not my car...no money to spend for repairs!
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

eurotec :

Hi, and welcome, My name isXXXXX convertible top and the windows are both controlled by the roof control module. I would first remove, clean or replace all of the fuses in the trunk fuse box located next to the right side trunk hinge. The fuses are prone to poor contact at their tips so you must remove and inspect and clean or replace the fuses to be sure they are ok. If you still have problems you can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 20 minutes then reconnect it to the battery and see if the windows and roof work. If the windows work you will need to synchronize the windows. To synchronize the windows you have to press very gently on the window switch to the first click only to lower the window and continue to hold the window switch an additional 3 seconds after the window is all the way down. Repeat the procedure in the up direction. If you press firmly on the window switch when they are not synchronized they probably will not move. Check the fuses in the trunk fuse box first. Please let me know if you need more help with this.

Customer:

On the console, there's button to put top down & up . The light in that switch is still on, which means I guess, that the automatic raising of the top (& the windows) is still not complete. The top is closed, but was closed "manually" to complete it "catching" shut. Each of the fuses have been pulled and put back. I am afraid to release the top, or even disconnect the battery until I return the car to its owner's garage, in case I can't get it closed again. The owner is in rehab for a broken hip, and I am using his car to run back & forth with things for him. I am very worried, as I can't afford to fix it, and it's just hard to share the news with him, when he's so upset about his fall & rehab. Sorry...not your problem to fix. Catch-22, it seems. I will have to get back to you after I've tried disconnecting battery cable. And seeing if the light goes off on the console. Thanks for your suggestions.

eurotec :

Hi, if the roof has not completed it's cycle the windows probably will not function. When you press the switch for the roof do you hear the hydraulic pump in the trunk running?

Customer:

I will check it and get back to you. Thx

eurotec :

You're quite welcome.

Customer:

I will have to get back to you later. I am returning the car to the owner's garage, before I "press" the switch to see if the pump it running. Shalom

eurotec :

Ok, I'll be here if you need anything.

Customer:

Thanks ... problem is solved. Replaced battery. Had problem with removing battery (turned out it was 11 yrs old)...positive post literally broke off from the battery. After replacing battery, red light on console was still on. Decided to check how one puts top up manually. Read manual, and followed directions for using Allen wrench to "lock down" the top (although up, it seemed a little loose). Then we were able to raise the windows!!! So again, thank you for leading us to the power issue. Good job!

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.