Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Key goes into ignition and turns easily. Gauges light up,

Key goes into ignition and turns easily. Gauges light up, but car acts like it's in another gear; it won't turn over, and it won't let me put it in another gear, even when depressing the brake pedal. Do you know what this error might be?
Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2002 Chevrolet Trail Blazer. It has about 225K miles. It's the smaller V6 engine (straight 6) don't know the exact name of the engine. We've tried different keys, thinking we could "fool" the VATS. I'm beginning to believe that it's a problem with the VATS.
The VATS will shut the fuel injectors down but it should still crank. If it won't shift out of park and also won't crank then there could be a problem with the trans position sensor. See if you can put it in neutral with the key out of lock position but not all the way on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not close to my car right now. It's about 20 miles away from me, parked at the Y. (daughter's car) I will try that, but it's going to take me a while. We're fixing to leave now.
Ok, in the event that you can't or if that doesn't help it. See if there is power to the starter's "S" terminal (the smaller one) when the key is turned to start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh,boy. Now you're talking Chinese to me! I'm not sure I know what or where the "S" terminal is. Is it in the engine compartment, or is that something under the dashboard?
Sorry, no that is on the starter. You may be able to jump the starter relay to see that will start it. That is in the fuse box under the hood, (easier to get to)
.

Also, check all the fuses. But it does sound like the trans position sensor is not sending the right signal to the PCM that the vehicle is in park. Which, without a scan tool would be very hard to know for sure.
.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your help! i am going to check the ignition switch like you said and if that's not it, i am going to have it towed to a mechanic. you have been very helpful, and i will use you again i am sure.

Your welcome Rick and come again, anytime, thanks

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I decided to take my Trail Blazer to a place where we trust the workers. I tried locating the "orange switch" located next to my gear shift, but couldn't find it. The tow truck picked it up, and we're going to see if my wife's mechanic can fix it all up. Your help was great, and even if you couldn't come up with an immediate solution (not expected, since you couldn't even see the car), it felt good knowing there was someone out there that was able to give me a few ideas. I didn't feel so alone!

Thanks again!
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks
.
We are always here for you and can answer many other categories as well.