sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I had the keys, yet overnight car locked me out. Had to have

Customer Question

I had the keys, yet overnight car locked me out. Had to have key lock person opened the door from the inside. know back door does not unlock, key still won't go in driver side door and on top of that the brake lights don't work. Tried fuses, had just changed lights. Now what?
Submitted: 3 years ago via
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the key won't turn in the door and there is no physical damage to the key then you either have a bad lock cylinder or latch. The door panel will need to be removed and the lock cylinder linkage popped off. If the key will then turn then the latch is the issue, if not then the lock cylinder will need to be replaced.

The brake lamps could be a number of things including the brake switch, wiring, connections, etc. If the bulbs have been verified good and no fuses are blown then the most likely cause would be the brake switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Key will not go in the lock. And the lock switch will not work. Also the back door will not unlock. The car looks like the brakes are on all the time. Yet they are not. Everything worked fine till the car locked me out.
I have heared of the superlock on these cars, can it be that?
If the key won't go into the lock cylinder then either the lock cylinder is bad or there is physical damage to the key.

The back door not locking is a separate issue and is likely a failed latch.