Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

i changed the ign lock cylinder ran the re learn no security

i changed the ign lock cylinder ran the re learn no security light issue but chk engine light on and no spark
Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
duh sorry 04 olds alero 140000 4 cyl 2.2

The service engine light will be on until the engine starts. Then it will go out if no faults are detected.

Does the engine start and stall, or does it just crank but not start?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it will crank but will not start

Since the plug are hard to get to on this engine, have you tried starting fluid while cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
starting fluid into the ir air cleaner port. not starting still. no spark i think

The most common problem on the 2.2 engine is failure of the ignition control module. You can check AC voltage signal into the module on the Yellow and Purple wires from the crank sensor while cranking the engine. You can also make sure you are getting 12 volts DC into the module on the Pink wire with the key on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so far so good one more question please. if there is no power to the ign. control mod is it a bad ign. switch

If there is no power to the ign mod and all the fuses are okay then yes, this would indicate a bad ignition switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you have done well i am very satisfied w your advise

Please don't forget to rate my service in the boxes below. If you ever need anything else, be sure to ask for me by name.

Dave Nova