sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience

Audi A6: 2012 Audi A6 (C7) - How do you remove the climate

2012 Audi A6 (C7) - How do you remove the climate control panel? I am about to install a rearview camera and need access to the MMI unit behind the Climate Control Panel. Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The control head snaps in and pulls rearward to disengage the clips. Audi special tool T40207 is recommended for use, which is basically a hook with a handle on the end. The hook is inserted under the control head on the left and right sides, you pull rearward and it pops the fasteners loose initially.

After you pull it to the first detent you will then need to rotate it down to remove it from the retaining hook in the instrument panel.

Bring it out of the dash and then you can reach behind and unplug the electrical connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello sprinkles08, while I waited for an answer, I was able to release the climate control panel by prying on the sides with a plastic wedge. Now I am stuck on how to insert 2 crimped wires on the green 12 pin quadlock connector on the MMI unit. The crimped plug just won't go in all the way. Please help! Thanks.
Are you inserting wires/terminals into empty cavities in the connector? There should be a lock wedge somewhere on the connector that needs to be disengaged or removed to allow wires to be inserted or removed from the connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. To insert 2 wires coming from the rearview camera control unit to empty cavities in the MMI quadlock connector. But I can't find any lock wedge on the connector. This is a green 12 pin connector lodged in a larger black harness. Maybe if I could release the green connector from its host? I really don't know how to proceed.
Are you able to take a picture of the connector and then upload it here? If I can see a couple views of the connector I can hopefully identify the lock wedge for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time I use Just Answer, so I do not know if it will allow me to upload pictures. But I will give it a shot in a few minutes when I get back home. I am currently replying from my iPhone while waiting in line at the grocery store.
I'm not sure if you'll have the capability to upload with an iPhone but you can with a computer. On Internet Explorer or Firefox there will be a toolbar on the top of the text box that you type in. If you click the paperclip icon it will allow you to upload pictures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try it from my laptop as soon as I get back home, which will be in about 20 minutes or so... about to leave the store. Thanks.
YOu're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I am home and on my computer, but I can not find a way to upload pictures. I am on Firefox, but there is no toolbar with a paperclip or anything else on this page. I will try to see if there is a way to enable this somewhere, or maybe I don't have it because I am new?
Can you try internet explorer and see if it's there? It should be there but there may be a bug preventing it. I had a customer yesterday that also said their toolbar was missing when trying to upload a picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on Explorer now, still no go :(
Another option would be to use a photo sharing site like Photobucket where you can create a free account, upload pictures and then give me a link.

I've gone through the service information and I can't determine where the connector lock is using the poor black and white pictures. It looks like the wedge may be on the terminal end and it just needs to be popped up, but I'd really like to see your actual connector before having you start prying on it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here is the photobucket link:

http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/gmopix/library/?sort=3&page=1

And it is the blue connector, not the green as I originally said.
The individual connectors should come out of the large black connector assembly. It looks as though there is a tab that will allow you to slide the individual connectors out. Slide the blue one out and then take a look at the sides of the connector. Since there isn't a visible lock from the front or back I believe you will find one on the side. Alot of times there is a rectangular piece on the side of the connector that spans the whole width and it has to be popped up a couple millimeters to unlock the terminals. I believe this is what your connector will have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will give it a shot and report back to you right away... so sit back and relax... :)
I'll be here!
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! Thank you so very much for you expert tip. I was able to remove the blue connector and just as you said, there was a wedge on each side that I was able to pop up with a small tip screwdriver, and the wires went right in. I uploaded a few pictures of the process:

So, case closed. I am not sure if I will be able to put my car back together, but that is a whole other problem. You are certainly getting an "Excellent rating from me!" First time Just Answer user and a happy camper. Thanks for your time and patience.
That's great, I'm glad to hear it! That's what I expected to see when there were no wedges from the front or back.

I'm glad I was able to help you today! I think you'll be fine putting it back together if you've made it this far!