Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

2001ram2500 diesel tranny will not shift from 1st to2nd unless

2001ram2500 diesel tranny will not shift from 1st to2nd unless you lift trottle everything else is working properly. Fluid is full and clean no slipage drives and shifts fine otherwise

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you. There are a couple of things that will cause this: 1 a mis adjusted kick down/throttle pressure cable and front band, and/or 2 a sticking governor pressure solenoid on the valve body. I recommend having the kick down cable adjustment checked first, and adjusted if needed and adjust the front band. If this does not help, then pull the oil pan and replace the governor pressure solenoid. That should definitely solve your 1 - 2 shift issue.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris