Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

The recommended psi for my tires is 35. Expect for the front

Customer Question

The recommended psi for my tires is 35. Expect for the front left tire, all the other tires look properly inflated at 35 psi. At that same pressure, the front left tire looks and feels more deflated than the other tires. I have had 3 different front left tires over the past 1.5 years, and it has been the same case for each time - all 3 of those front tires seemed flatter than the other tires at the same 35 psi
To make up for it, I inflated the front left tire up to 55 psi, and it seemed to make for a smoother car ride. Also, at 55 psi, the front left looks about as inflated as the other tires do at 35 psi. On two of the occassions when I let the front left go well under 55 psi, that tire ended up going completely flat and had to be replaced (hence the 3 front lefts over the past 1.5 years. The repair shop claims the flats were due to punctures, but I am suspicious it is due to the lower-than 55 psi. Also, it seems I get better gas mileage at55 psi. Should I keep my front left at 55 psi, or is it too dangerous to leave it so high? Is there something wrong if the front left looks and seems flatter than the other tires? Is it possible that a flat tire could be caused by an under-inflated tire?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

What vehicle are you talking about?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hyandai 2005 Elantra 4 door sedan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
That is a compact car. I hate to ask but what is the weight of the driver?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
If the answer is over 300lbs you might actually want to get a front end alignment performed while the normal driver is actually sitting in the drivers seat.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Actually, it's not a compact car, it's kinda like a mid size.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The driver is 165 pounds (sorry if this is a duplicate response)
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, forget what I said then,

Is this lf tire the same as the others?

Are they P195/60R15?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure. If you need that info before continuing, I will go look and come back with the answer tomorrow...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, tomorrow it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes P195/60R15 it is - sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Have you had the front end alignment done? If so, let me know what the results are for camber and toe. If not get at least an alignment check done and let me know. Alot of times the checks are free.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Have you had the front end alignment done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still working on that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know the results for camber and toe.