sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport Instrument Cluster

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport. It does not have steering wheel mounted buttons to change instrument cluster settings, and the cluster only has the button to clear Trip Counter. How do I access the Miles p/gallon, miles to empty functions on this model. A test of the cluster shows all those functions to be there as they all light up when testing the cluster. The owners manual only describes how to access when there are steering wheel mounted switches. Ultimately I want to change it from US to metric in personal settings.

UPDATE to question:

I just read a conversation between a Tech named Mopead and a customer with a 2008 Jeep Liberty where he put a 2010 Steering Wheel on his 2008 to gain the steering wheel controls for his radio and speed control. Will doing this give me control of the settings in the Instrument Cluster as per question above?
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I'm happy to wait.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you need the instrument cluster functions to be completely in metric then the appropriate cluster would need to be ordered. There are seven different clusters available, metric being a completely different part than US.

The EVIC capability is in all clusters, it's not a separate option when ordering a cluster. If you installed the correct wheel with the controls and wiring and then had the appropriate programming done to add the EVIC options then it should work. The option codes will need to be added to the VIN and the build configuration on the vehicle updated.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fantastic. Thanks for your guidance. I and the car are in the Middle East (Abu Dhabi) and there is a Jeep Dealer here I can take it to for the programming once I obtain a steering wheel with the controls. (Car used to be in the USA).

I've since found a business in the USA that specialises in Instrument Clusters (US Speedo), they say that a metric cluster should work instantly when put in place. I might go this way as it involves less i.e not having to do programming??? I think?

Yes, all you'll have to do for the instrument cluster is install it, no programming will be needed.