Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 25 years experience, Ford Trans Tech/SMT, Toyota, Mitsubishi,Hyundai Tech.
285738

Lincoln MKX: My 2008 MKX has done the following twice. The

My 2008 MKX has done the following twice. The first, while my wife was driving to work, the wrench icon came on, lost all but a little power, seatbelt lights came on, then tire inflation sensor came on. When I went to look at car, when I put in in reverse, it felt like the drive shaft was going to fall out, very loud bang. Had very little if any power in drive. Had it towed to transmission shop, thinking it was trans problem. Guy called me back two days later and said he couldnt find anything wrong with car. He said it hit really hard in reverse the first time, but nothing after that. Same thing happened two weeks later but made it home. I checked it a few days later and it hit hard in reverse about 5 times and had very little power in drive. After about the 5th time, everything seems to work fine again
Sounds like a problem with the turbine speed shaft sensor or output shaft speed sensors. Usually they will set diagnostic trouble codes p0717 or p0720 when they see a fault. these 2 sensors tell how fast the trans input and output shafts are turning and based on how fast, help control the transmission shift points, etc. when they mess up it slams into gear and feels like its gonna blow the trans apart. Very common, there is even a technical service bulletin out about it. Basically you should replace both sensors since you need to pull the trans side pan off and valve body for the output shaft sensor. Replace both sensors and top off the fluid and you should be good to go.

6F50 TRANSAXLES BUILT PRIOR TO 10/21/2007 -
DTC P0715, P0717, P0718, P0720, P0721, P0722
AND/OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT, NO UPSHIFT, FIFTH
GEAR ONLY
FORD:
2008 Taurus X, Taurus
2007-2008Edge
LINCOLN:
2007-2008 MKX
MERCURY:
2008 Sable
This article supersedes TSB 07-3-11 to update the transaxle built date coverage and Part List.

ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Edge and MKX, 2008 Taurus Taurus X, and Sable vehicles equipped with a 6F50 transaxle with a build date prior to 10/21/2007, with any Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor or Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor diagnostic trouble code(s) (DTCs) P0715, P0717, P0718, P0720, P0721, P0722 and/or harsh engagements, no upshift, fifth gear only, could have an intermittent short in the OSS or TSS sensor.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. If any DTCs related to OSS or TSS are present, check the transaxle build date following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.
a. If the build date is before 10/21/2007 go to Step 2.
b. If vehicle transaxle is built on or after 10/21/2007 do not continue with this TSB and follow normal WSM, Section 307-01 Automatic Transaxle/Transmission-6F50 Diagnosis and Testing.

. To repair an OSS or TSS DTC refer to WSM, Section 307-01, follow pin point test (PPT) C. The TSS sensor is located in the end cover assembly (Figure 1). The OSS sensor is located inside the transaxle under the main Control (Figure 2). Both sensor connectors are plugged into the solenoid body. Both sensor connectors look the same but are wired differently (Figure 3).
3. If you work through PPT C and get to Step C9 before finding the cause of the concern, replace the sensor (DO NOT REPLACE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) AT THIS TIME). Reassemble as needed and verify the concern is fixed.

TSB number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any idea of the cost to replace these two sensors?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if I have this at shop, will these codes come up even if vehicle is running fine and there are no icons on dash?

yes there should be a code set if the problem is occuring, some shops dont have dealer type scan tools which read proprietary codes, they need a high end scanner to be able to see them stored. it usually runs around 3-4 hours labor based upon service center labor rate. and parts pricing will vary as they might be a dealer item only on the two sensors.probably a few hundred bucks altogether
ty for accepting my answer and the bonus, please let me know if I can be of more help!