Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

I touched a piece of metal from hot lead off alternator to

I touched a piece of metal from hot lead off alternator to frame. there was spark. now car starts but will not allow to shift into gear, no radio, heat, instruments. did I blow main fuse. if so which one?
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 26+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
was trying to secure alternator with piece of metal. accidently touched hot feed to part on frame. there was a spark. now I have no shifting into gear. no instuments. no radio. no heat. car does start. think I blew a main relay. do not know which one
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
car is 2006 scion xa. auto. 124k mls. again, car runs just can't engage gears.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pulled all fuses, relays. they look to be fine visually
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
already replied. 2006 scion. xa. 124k mls. automatic. I've looked at fuses, relays. they seem to.look.fine. I blew a main fuse while touching hot lead off alternator and grounding it to frame. car runs. will not shift. no gauges on dash work. no windows. no radio. no heat controls.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am waiting for an answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I never received ANY answer. expert is now offline after I waited. 2 hrs.
Sorry, Scion is not my area of expertise, I will opt out for another expert.....

Thank you,

Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
then get me.someone who knows.scions i i

Now that we know your vehicle information, when someone that has information for you logs in, they will be right with you.... Thanks for your patience and understanding....

Thank you,

Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also determined the fuse block on inside left side has no power to it. the panel on drivers left, inside vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have scion 2006 xa. automatic. 124k mls.
was trying to secure alternator and by accident touched hot lead on back of alt. grounding it to frame.
I fried some sort of fuse link. as result, car starts. does not allow shifting out of park. instr. cluster in middle of dashboard has no power to it. no blower, radio power.
what link did I possibly fry?
Thanks
john
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
what link did I possibly fry?
Thanks
john
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
k. thanks. figured out that there is no power to fuse block located on lower drivers side, inside vehicle. has to be fuse link somewhere between there and battery I'm not seeing.

The instrument fuse panel located behind left side of dash is powered from the same fuse as the alternator and is named alternator fuse. It's a 120a. It's in the fusible link block on the left side of the engine.

Mike S., Mechanic
Experience: 25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
For that wiring diagram, click here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks a lot heavy chevy. can u be a little more.specific on location or maybe what I'm.looking for.
Thanks again for your help.
The alt 120a fuse in the fusible link block on the left side of the engine.
I see other fuses, too that supposedly feeds that int fuse box, from the ignition switch and it's the am2 and am1 fuse and the am2 fuse is fed from a 60a, main fuse in the fusible link block on the left side of the engine.
Here is the second diagram, click here.
graphic

It's the 3rd one from the left in that box.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey chevy;
Thanks again. your description was exactly right. it was the alt. fuse. little bugger to cause all that trouble
I will definately use.this.service.again. Can I request you? ?? Do.u know.enough about Maserati. I have a cambrio.corsa.spyder GT. 2005.

Maserati? Not really. I don't even think I have access to any manuals for that.

You can request me through my profile, http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-einspritzen/