Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

I touched a piece of metal from hot lead off alternator to

Customer Question

I touched a piece of metal from hot lead off alternator to frame. there was spark. now car starts but will not allow to shift into gear, no radio, heat, instruments. did I blow main fuse. if so which one?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 26+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was trying to secure alternator with piece of metal. accidently touched hot feed to part on frame. there was a spark. now I have no shifting into gear. no instuments. no radio. no heat. car does start. think I blew a main relay. do not know which one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
car is 2006 scion xa. auto. 124k mls. again, car runs just can't engage gears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pulled all fuses, relays. they look to be fine visually
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already replied. 2006 scion. xa. 124k mls. automatic. I've looked at fuses, relays. they seem to.look.fine. I blew a main fuse while touching hot lead off alternator and grounding it to frame. car runs. will not shift. no gauges on dash work. no windows. no radio. no heat controls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for an answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I never received ANY answer. expert is now offline after I waited. 2 hrs.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, Scion is not my area of expertise, I will opt out for another expert.....

Thank you,

Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then get me.someone who knows.scions i i
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Now that we know your vehicle information, when someone that has information for you logs in, they will be right with you.... Thanks for your patience and understanding....

Thank you,

Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also determined the fuse block on inside left side has no power to it. the panel on drivers left, inside vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I have scion 2006 xa. automatic. 124k mls.
was trying to secure alternator and by accident touched hot lead on back of alt. grounding it to frame.
I fried some sort of fuse link. as result, car starts. does not allow shifting out of park. instr. cluster in middle of dashboard has no power to it. no blower, radio power.
what link did I possibly fry?
Thanks
john
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
what link did I possibly fry?
Thanks
john
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k. thanks. figured out that there is no power to fuse block located on lower drivers side, inside vehicle. has to be fuse link somewhere between there and battery I'm not seeing.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The instrument fuse panel located behind left side of dash is powered from the same fuse as the alternator and is named alternator fuse. It's a 120a. It's in the fusible link block on the left side of the engine.

Mike S., Mechanic
Experience: 25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
For that wiring diagram, click here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks a lot heavy chevy. can u be a little more.specific on location or maybe what I'm.looking for.
Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The alt 120a fuse in the fusible link block on the left side of the engine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I see other fuses, too that supposedly feeds that int fuse box, from the ignition switch and it's the am2 and am1 fuse and the am2 fuse is fed from a 60a, main fuse in the fusible link block on the left side of the engine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Here is the second diagram, click here.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It's the 3rd one from the left in that box.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey chevy;
Thanks again. your description was exactly right. it was the alt. fuse. little bugger to cause all that trouble
I will definately use.this.service.again. Can I request you? ?? Do.u know.enough about Maserati. I have a cambrio.corsa.spyder GT. 2005.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Maserati? Not really. I don't even think I have access to any manuals for that.

You can request me through my profile, http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-einspritzen/