George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2004 KIA SEDONA. 3.5 V6. FRONT IDLER PULLEY REMOVAL. HAVE A

Customer Question

2004 KIA SEDONA. 3.5 V6. FRONT IDLER PULLEY REMOVAL. HAVE A NOISY IDLER PULLEY. UNDER THE ALTERNATOR PULLEY IS AN IDLER PULLEY FASTENED WITH EITHER A TORX 40 or 30 BOLT WITH ONLY ABOUT THREE FOURTHS OF AN INCH OF SPACE IN WHICH TO INSERT A TOOL. I CANNOT FIND A TOOL THAT WILL FIT IN THAT LITTLE SPACE OR ACCESS THROUGH A PANEL THAT WILL PERMIT USE OF STANDARD TORX TOOLS. WHAT IS THE PROCEEDURE FOR REMOVING AND REPLACING THAT PULLEY?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The procedure is to support the engine on a floor jack (use a block of wood to pad the oilpan) and remove the upper engine mount so you can jack the engine up or lower it about 2 inches. Be careful not to pull the wiring too much but once you lower/raise it you will have plenty of room to remove the pulley.

Please let me know how I can help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the TORX SIZE - 30 or 40? Is it a left hand or right hand thread?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The thread is right hand, the belt runs clockwise so as the pulley is turned it tightened an loose bolt.

I don't know the sized of the socket needed, I have a set of them and just grab whatever fits I dolt look at the sizes,

Please let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE DICONNECTED THE UPPER RT SIDE MOTOR SUPPORT AND HAVE JACKED THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ENGINE UP TWO INCHES UNTIL THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL HAS COME OFF THE GROUND AND STILL NEED ANOTHER HALF INCH IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE TORX BOLT WITH A SUITABLE WRENCH. WHAT NOW?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Let it down!

I posted to be careful, raising the wheel by jacking the oil pan is too far.

Go through the wheel opening and let the engine down to access this pulley bolt.

Sorry if I was not clear, the inner fender liner is removed to access the belt and the pulley.

Let me knpw if that is clearer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I REMOVED THE INNER FENDER
LINER AND DROPPED THE ENGINE AND NOW AM ABLE TO GET A CUT OFF TORX 40 WITH A BOX END ATTACHED, BUT AM UNABLE TO GET THE BOLT TO BREAK LOOSE. I INTEND TO TRY A ONE FOOT EXTENSION FOR MORE LEVERAGE. I AM CONCERNED ABOUT STRIPPING THE BOLT AND I SEE NO WAY OF DRILLING IT OUT WITHOUT REMOVING THE ENGINE. I DID DOUCE IT WITH PENETRATING OIL TO SEE IF THAT WON'T FREE IT UP. ANY ADVICE?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Usually the bolt will come loose if you pull with your wrench at right angles to it. I am away from my computer but will reply when I get to it in an hour
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I FINALLY GOT THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF TOOLS: A TEN MM CENTER DRIVE RATCHET, A NEW T40 TORX BIT WHICH I CUT OFF TO FIT THE SPACE AND A 1 FT EXTENSION FOR THE RATCHET FOR LEVERAGE. THE FIT WAS GOOD FOR THE BOLT HEAD. I PLACED A LARGE SCREW DRIVER BLADE BETWEEN THE END OF THE TORX BIT IN THE RATCHET AND THE STEEL PANEL TO KEEP THE TORX BIT FROM BACKING OUT AND PULLED COUNTER CLOCKWISE AND A 3/16 END OF THE TORX BIT BROKE OFF. THE TORX BIT WAS AT A GOOD RIGHT ANGLE TO THE BOLT HEAD. WHAT NOW?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Check this link to see how the pulley is mounted, it sounds like you are not holding the nut?

Click here for diagram

I use an impact and just have to hit it a little to get it spinning free. You can dig the torx tip out with a small scribe or pick and your bit should still work.

Let me know if that helps

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I REMOVED THE MOUNTING BRACKET THAT THE PULLEY IS ATTACHED TO AND PUT THE ASSEMBLEY IN A BENCH VISE AND STILL COILDN'T GET THE TORX BOLT TO BREAK LOOSE EVEN AFTER APPLYING TENSION ON THE TORX BOLT, DRILLING A HOLE IN IT FOR A PUNCH. WITH TENSION AND A PUNCH AND HAMMER ALL IN A COUNTERWISE DIRECTION. ARE YOU SURE THIS UNSCREWES IN A COUNTER WISE DIRECTION?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is right hand thread, you have the nut off? I do try to tighten a little to help break the corrosion but it sounds like they may be using magnesium chloride on the roads there for ice control? That will cause a lot of corrosion.

Does your new pulley come with the bolt like this one? If so you should be able to drill the head off the bolt and it will fall out of the bracket.

I am sorry you are having such trouble with this and I wish I had a way to reach through the computer to help you.

Please let me know what I can do

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GEORGE, YOU WERE INCORRECT ON RIGHT HAND THREAD. I TOOK THE ASSEMBLY, PULLEY ATTACHED TO THE MOUNTING BRACKET, TO A MECHANIC WHO PLACED IT IN A VISE, TAPPED THE BOLT HEAD SHARPLY THEN ATTEMPTED TO REMOVE IT BY TURNING IT COUNTER CLOCKWISE AND IT WOULDN'T BUDGE. HE THEN TURNED IT CLOCK WISE AND IT MOVED AND HE BACKED IT OUT BY TURNING IT CLOCK WISE ALL THE WAY OUT. I INSTALLED THE NEW PULLEY BY TURNING THE BOLT COUNTER CLOCK WISE.

BLINDLY FOLLOWING YOUR INSTRUCTIONS COST ME TWO EXRTA DAYS OF LABOR AND FIFTY DOLLARS IN TOOLS I DIDN'T NEED.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I have not had a left hand thread on this bolt in my experience. Do you have a new bolt with your new pulley as I asked and linked above? Is it left hand thread as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO I USED THE OLD BOLT WITH A NEW PULLEY, PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER AND IT NOW WORKS FINE.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I am glad you got it together and I am sorry that I was not able to tell you that you had a left threaded bolt. The link I provided shows the pulley coming with a new bolt. Again I am sorry that I said it was right threaded when you asked directly.

Thank you for letting me know that you got it together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GEORGE, I MUST GIVE YOU A RATING OF POOR BECAUSE OF ALL THE EXTRA WORK AND EXPENSE FOR UNNECEESSARY TOOLS I HAD TO BUY, YOU CAUSED BY TELLING ME THE BOLT WAS A RIGHT HAND THREAD WHEN IT WAS A LEFT HAND THREAD.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand and thank you for explaining your rating.

Again I am sorry I provided poor information to you.