Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

spark plug came out when i cranked my truck up

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

did the whole spark plug pop out threads and all or are the threads of some of the spark plug still in the cylinder head

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did u recieve the e-mail

no I did not

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the whole sparkplug came out of the head , on the end of the plug there was a treaded incert that the plug was treaded into much larger than the plug . 2002 ford f-250 engine 5.4 v8 143,000 miles . looks like someone tried to tap the whole bigger an retread

yes someone put in a heli coil or threadcert as that is a repair for a spark plug threaded hole in a cylinder head

at this point you need to take down that spark plug with the incert on it to your local parts store and pick up a heli coil or threadcert kit

the kit comes with great directions to install them

now I am hoping the thread repair they used did NOT mess up the cylinder head as if that complete threadcert came out with the sparkplug there is a chance installing a new thread repair may NOT hold the plug in to spec and might blow back out on you

but at this point you have to attempt the thread kit and if the plug blows out again the cylinder head will have to be removed and repaired at a machine shop im sorry to say

now I am hoping they used a heli coil and if they did put a threadcert in that will more than likey hold good for you

if they used a threadcert already its going to be try a new one and if it pops out the head will have to come off

here are the picturegraphic of each the threadcert is a round threaded repair and a helicoil is basically just replacing the threads as you can see from each picture

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what does it normally cost to have the head reworked an put back together .

you are looking at 15 to 21 hours labor depending if your going to send out both heads which would be wise to do

as for just the machine shop price to fix the plug hold @ $ 50 to $ 100 to fix the plug hole

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a dependable shop in my area am in madison al. 35758

to find the best shop local to you is word of mouth go to your local auto parts store and ask them as they know who the best is in your area because they do business with them or some will even send the cylinder head out to the machine shop they use