Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Isuzu Trooper: My son bought a 2000 isuzu trooper with 132000miles

My son bought a 2000 isuzu trooper with 132000miles on it. After 2100 miles, the engine seized and is no good. Would it be worth the cost of putting in a used engine with 84,000 miles ($3800 parts and labor) or is this vehicle truly known for constant engine problems?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. How much did he pay for it? What is your zip code? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He traded in a 98 nissan altima that had alarm system problems, a brand new set of 14" snow tires, and paid $4000 on top of that. Our zip is 59808. Missoula, Mt. He only had it for 3 weeks when the engine seized.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did you get it from a dealership? Have you contacted dealership about problem yet? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES , we got it from a dealership that at first seemed eager to make amends. He even towed it 240 miles from where it broke down back to Msla. Then after a month, he suddenly sent me an email telling me to not contact him anymore and to contact his attorneys. I have a complaint in to BBB, Consumer Protection and Mt. Legal Aid. I have since found out he was shut down once before for illegal and questionable car sales. Anyway, now my son has no vehicle and I am puzzled as to which avenue to take....Is it worth fixing? Or should he invest in another car: he prefers Cadillacs. Are they dependable?...as I originally asked.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is not worth fixing in my opinion, the cost of fixing is almost as much as the vehicle is worth. Cadillacs are not dependable either. If he wants something that is going to be dependable I would consider something like a cavalier, grand prix with the 3.8 engine, sunfire, or a Honda Civic. I am sorry it is not better news but I think it would be a mistake to invest $3800 in the car. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the mechanical issues with cadillacs? I thought they were top of the line. He wants a bigger car than a cavalier or the others u mentioned, but I don't want him to have a gas hog either. What about a chevy impala?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
A impala is a good vehicle, but I'd make sure it is the 3.8 engine as the 3.4 engine have a lot of intake gasket problems which are about $700 repairs. What type of Cadillac is he considering? Most that I'm guessing he are looking at have the 4.6 northstar engine which are notorious for head gaskets and cost 3k to fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are there any other mid-size or luxury size 4 doors that you recommend that have good mechanical dependability? I realize that they wont have the gas mileage like the ones you recommended earlier but also since he now owes the bank $4000 for the Isuzu, they will only allow him $3800 to get another car and that's not much to work with.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

With that price range I would recommend any GM vehicle that has the 3.8 engine, they usually are comfortable rides, mid sized, have some luxury options, and dependable.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database