Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Spider: I changed the head gasket in my 81 spider and the timing

I changed the head gasket in my 81 spider and the timing chain tention sprocket came out and I'm not sure what I may have lost on the floor I did find a small square part with a hole in it what is this for and are there any other parts I need runs but not well

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Hi, and welcome. I apologize for the wait. I have attached a parts explosion of the timing chain tensioner for the spider. It shows the small block along with the other pieces. Please let me know if you have any questions.

graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the parts info It seems we have the timing out just a tad, will not idel smooth but seems better at a high idel any ideas??

Hi, the first thing I would do is recheck my cam timing and get the lock plate installed. Without that plate installed the timing chain will bounce around and possibly cause the uneven idle. Also, if the cam timing is not correct it can cause a poor idle as well. You should also check for any vacuum leaks at the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help but I think we are over our head on this project, it seem from what we read that the intake cam is out half a cog and we're not sure what way to turn it to correct this...I don't need to make it worse

You're quite welcome. I tend to agree with you. If you are not comfortable moving the cam timing it's probably best that you have a mechanic who is more familiar with this model take a look at it.
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.