Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

I left the ignition switch on with a diesel engine why wont it s

Customer Question

I left the ignition switch on with a diesel engine why won't it start?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hi Im Tom and Im here to assist you with your issue today.There is a very good chance that the cells in the battery have failed and are causing this issue.Was this checked.The other issue can be that shorted out the glow plug relay but focus on the battery first.If the cells are bad it will not accept a charge and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for taking my question. This actually is aboard my boat and I have a marine engine it is a Volvo Penta and I was just down to run the engine for 40 minutes or so for good maintenance. However after I pulled the kill cable which is normally how you shut the engine down I forgot to turn off the ignition switch. So it was in the on position for a week!

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK you definitely damaged the cells in the battery and need to start there and should fix your issue.these are the next steps.Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know and I would be more then happy to help for no further charge.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK thanks for the information. I have a deep cycle marine battery and I really need to know in more detail what actually happened in terms of the circuit. The actual step by step blow by blow. Like ....the ignition switch when left in the starting position causes the circuit or switch to remain open ...........and there may be a fuse in the line or blah blah blah in other words give me a step by step list of the possiblities and typical wiring setups of marine engine applications this is not a car.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok when you leave the ignition in the starting position it leaves the circuit open it will not blow any fuses but it will drain the battery completely and damage the cells .I understand its not a car but I also own a boat myself and there is nothing else to check except the battery when this issue occurs had it happen to myself actually my wife left it on and had to replace the battery ..Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know and I would be more then happy to help for no further charge.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.