Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Toyota Rav4, my car heater not blowing hot air only cold, why?

My car heater not blowing hot air only cold , 1996 Toyota rav 4

I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

In some cases this can be caused by a restricted heater core,or possibly an actuator on the heater box not switching from cold to hot.Locate your heater hoses going into the firewall for the heater core and warm up the vehicle completely,then turn on the heater on full hot and feel both of these hoses.If one is hot or very warm to the touch and the other is cold or allot cooler then the heater core is restricted needing either flushed out or replaced.

If both hoses are hot or very warm to the touch and you only have cold air coming out of the vents this may be a fault with an actuator on the heater box or the control to switch the door from cold to hot in the heater box.This would need to be checked into/tested further to locate the fault.

I hope this has helped and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

both pipes are hot going into the bulkhead , where is the actuator located , ? can i check this ?

According to my info on this here it doesn't look like this heater box has actuators,it looks like your heater hot/cold switch may be connected to a cable which runs and connects to the heater box itself to switch from hot to cold.If you inspect the heater box under the dash and move the switch from hot to cold or cold to hot see if you can locate a cable moving an attachment on the heater box,this would be the location of the temp control door.See if this cable is moving this door.