Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Peugeot 206 1,6 Xsi: Hi. Got a Peugeot 206 Xsi -02. Acts strange

Customer Question

Hi. Got a Peugeot 206 Xsi -02. Acts strange on the road. Overstears to the left in a left hand turn when giving throttle. Stabil to the right. Can´t find any play in bearings or busches at the front neither in the back. runs on 205/45-17. 2,7 bar at front 2,4 rear.
Need help. / Regards Stefan
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello

The first thing I'd do is take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.

A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other.

also check for tyre defects - any cracks or bulges on the side-wall of the tyre (inside and outside) these will throw the tyre out of shape and produce vibration - take a good look over the tyre sidewalls and bear in mind that anything that looks suspect when static will probably be ballooning out and far worse at speed so if any doubt then replace the tyre. Also check if the tyres have been fitted the right way round as some types are directional
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

I agree that something is not lining up.

But as far as I know, the Peugeot 206 has no adjustments on the rear axle or do you know of any adjustment points?

Furthermore there is no sign of the wheels being out of balance or any other signs of excessive ware on the tires..
I have been testing the lower control arms at the front and all the joints for wear and excessive play but found nothing. I have also done the same at the rear with negative result. Maybe I have a bent swingarm at the rear. If so how do I correct it?

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX H

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

There's some adjustment by means of shims between the subframe and car body

and if the swing arms bent I'd to get a complete rear suspension unit from a scrap yard, remove the old suspension via the four rubber bushes and then replace the whole module with the scrap yard unit.