sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Mazda MPV: My ecu is playing up in a 99 mpv and has dropped

My ecu is playing up in a 99 mpv and has dropped 2 cylinders. I've already replaced coils, leads and plugs and everything else looks good. Do i need to replace the computer with another with the exact same part no., or any ecu from any 99 2.5l variant will do?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's definitely possible for the coil drivers in the ECM to fail. If you've lost spark on these cylinders and the coils, plugs and wiring are ok then it's going to be an ECM issue.

The exact part number would need to be matched on a replacement ECM. Even if the model year and engine are the same there can be differences in software depending on vehicle build. Just match the part number from the old one to the replacement and you'll be sure to have the correct one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there then any process to match the ecu to the immobilizer and ignition?

Yes, there is programming that will need to be done using a dealer level or high end aftermarket scan tool.