Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Nissan Pathfinder: 1991 Nissan Pathfinder. No dash lights

1991 Nissan Pathfinder. No dash lights (meaning the light that lights the dash when you turn on the headlights), no high beams (low beams work but when you go to high beams the headlights turn off), no parking lamps (if you turn the switch up one notch to parking lamps, nothing happens. You turn it up again for the headlights to come on). Is there a common fuse or switch for these?

Hi Brad,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If all of these faults occurred at the same time this may be caused by an internal electrical fault in the light switch itself.This light switch sends out the signals for the outside park lamps,interior dash lights as well as the headlight output.The signals out of this switch would need tested to verify it is the component at fault.This would require a multi meter or test light.If you have one of these tools I can tell you how to test this here just let me know.

Thanks Pete

If the faults had occurred at separate times let me know and we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a multimeter. Where is the switch located?

This is the switch you use to turn on your head lights and park lights.Can you gain access to the wiring at the back of this switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, I cannot right daughter has the pathfinder at school. But, I'm willing to bet that is the problem. I have not looked to see how it is attached to the steering column, but when I google the replacement part for it it shows the unit and about 6-12 inches of wire that go down and end in a blue connector that then connects to a white connector mounted on the vehicle. Should I just get back to you when i have the vehicle home?

According to my info from what it shows ( a little difficult to read) there should be battery voltage fed out of the headlight switch on the pink/blue wire and pink wire at this switch when the park lights are switched on.If you do not have this voltage here this switch is most likely at fault needing replaced.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, thanks...will test when she brings the pathfinder home and will send a note if I nee more help.

Sounds good.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replaced the turn signal switch (head light switch..same thing) and that fixed it all! Thanks!

Your welcome.Glad to see it has been resolved.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete