hilltop4527
hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.
70175367

I have a 1997 QX4 with a v6 and automatic transmission. Everything

I have a 1997 QX4 with a v6 and automatic transmission. Everything was working fine and I stoped for gas and when I took back off again I had no third gear. There was no slipping in first and second but will not shift out of second in to third. I changed the fluid and filter and nothing changed.

hilltop4527 :

Hi I see you are having some trouble I will try to help.

Customer:

thank you

hilltop4527 :

The simplest thing I know to try is to remove the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes. This will reset the computer which tells the transmission to shift. Sometimes this works, and it is easy to try. If this does not work you will have to take it to a shop that has a scanner. With a scanner they can look to see if the computer is requesting the shift solenoid in the transmission to shift to third gear. If it is not requesting it to shift the problem is in the computer(PCM). If it is requesting it to shift and still not shifting it is the solenoid. If I had to choose the most likely it would be a solenoid. These can be replaced with the transmission in the car. I hope this helps. If so please give me a positive rating and accept my answer so I can get credit for it. I am still here if you need further assistance. Thanks

Customer:

is the solenoid on the outside of the transmission

hilltop4527 :

No you have to remove the pan to get to it.

Customer:

Ok I will try the battery first and go from there. But you are thinking that the transmission is still Ok?

hilltop4527 :

Yes as long as it is not slipping it should be okay.

Customer:

Ok Thanks I will leave positive feedback

hilltop4527 :

A transmission shop should be able to fix your problem. The problem will be finding one that won't rip you off. You should be able to get it fixed for $200.00 to $250.00 Thanks

hilltop4527 :

And that is top dollar It may be cheaper. Solenoids are usually $50.00

Customer:

Sounds great thanks