George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

Suzuki SX4: My 2007 SX4 has developed a terrible metal on metal

Customer Question

My 2007 SX4 has developed a terrible metal on metal rattle sound from inside the round resonator behind the catalytic converter. It sounds like something has come loose inside it. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If the long resonator behind the rear catalytic converter is noisy you can have an exhaust shop cut it out and weld in a new pipe. This will change the exhaust note but the alternative is to replace the whole pipe with new from the dealer and it includes the cat.

The name of this piece is the exhaust center pipe and list price is $991.

An exhaust shop will not charge more than $200 to replace this part of the pipe.

Are you still under warranty?

Please let me know so I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is the smaller round factory sealed resonator in front of the long resonator.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The smaller bulge in front of the long resonator is the rear catalytic converter.

Are you less than 80,000 miles?

I don't have your location, are you in the US?

Let me know and maybe the dealer is going to replace this for you

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, only about 60,000 miles and I am in the U.S. Texas!

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The federal emissions warranty is 8 years/80,000 miles whichever comes first so I would get to the dealer and ask that they replace the catalytic converter for you as it has failed. YOu should not be charged for this.

Do you have a present or former Suzuki dealer near you after the bankruptcy? If so they will honor the warranty.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When the car was on the lift, the catalytic convertor was pointed out to me and the culprit is between that and the long resonator. Is this still part of the convertor? There use to be a dealer in Lake Charles LA, closest to me.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

There are two cats, one up front by the exhaust manifold and it is almost vertical, the round bulge and the long bulge in the same pipe has the resonator (long bulge) and the rear catalytic converter (small round bulge). The converter is filled with a honeycomb ceramic brick that can break up which causes the noise you are hearing.

Replacing the center pipe assembly will stop the noise and is covered by the federal emission warranty.

Click here for diagram.

I believe you are seeing the pipe marked with #12, this is the center pipe I described above

Many of the old dealers have re branded but if this was a Suzuki dealer they will still honor the warranty or maybe they still are a dealer. There are 220?? left a year ago so maybe it still is.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I only see items marked 10 & 11, no 12?

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The long pipe at the bottom or is it cut off?

Try making the .pdf smaller and it might show, there is a problem with some pages.

Let me know if you can get it and I will try again if you cannot.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It must be cut off, I see a piece of pipe but nothing marked #12. Please resend. The part where the noise is coming from is about the size of a small melon.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Try again,

Click here

If you resize it to 50% you should see it all

Let me know if that works

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still can't see it. Can you advise me if the 2 catalytic converters are connected by a connection before the long resonator? I have the one behind the engine that goes in one direction and then the connection to the other that goes in the opposite direction. Can you send a diagram direct to my e-mail?

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

There is a joint in the pipe just in front of the converter (small melon) and a solid pipe to the back to the long bulge (resonator) .

We are not permitted to email, are you using the percentage view on the toolbar of the .pdf window to do the resize?

Are you on a windows PC?

Lets try one last time (click here)

Let me know if that works

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That worked! You've been very helpful, and I will contact a local dealer for warranty work. Thanks so very much.

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Glad you got it, please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you