K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Mazda CX-7 Touring: My wifes CX-7 has a fan that is continuing

My wife's CX-7 has a fan that is continuing to run (Very loudly) while she drives it. Then upon shutting it off, it will continue to run. I read about a sensor and then she took it in to local Mazda dealer. They say $500 (??) to replace a "computer chip" (Is that the sensor? How the hell is that $500?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. The dealer was more than likely referring to the cooling fan control module. It lists for 384.00 and calls for 0.3 hours to replace. Their 500.00 estimate likely include the part,.3hrs replacement and 1.0 hour diagnostic time. Here is a link to the part at a lower price.
I would suggest getting a second opinion from your local trusted mechanic as a stuck relay could do the same thing and would be less than 50.00 to replace.
If you would like a wiring diagram for the fans for your mechanic just let me know and I would be happy to provide you with it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well the dealer mechanic was saying "I think this is the issue." I've read about these sensors going out, but he's saying its a computer chip. Same? Either way, my wife needs the car desperately and we don't want anything major to happen. Thanks
Te fan control module is different from the sensor. The car's computer uses input from the coolant temperature sensor to send a signal to the fan control module. The fan control module then control the speed of the cooling fan. Since it's very loud (turning at full speed) and staying on the dealer mechanic most likely thinks its the module. I'm sorry you got such poor service from a dealer. The proper procedure would have been to monitor the engine coolant sensor readings with a scan tool with live data and then to test for faulty relays before declaring a bad module (computer chip as he called it)
I would have it addressed as soon as possible. Not only can this cause a dead battery it can lead to premature fan wear or the fan not working at all leading to an overheating issue.