Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
72783663

Weak Spark

Customer Question

Weak Spark
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi there - what year make and model of vehicle are you working on? I don't have that information in your question... Thanks. Canuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its a blower poulan brand mode ppb430vs

I'm not going to be much help on this one...I'll put it back out, and hopefully a small engine tech will pick up your question, Best, Canuck
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your Blower can you tell me how you are testing for spark? Also about how many hours do you have on the blower?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

removed the plug, put a lead on the plug to ground and i get a spark but it appears weak and bought a new spark plug, unknown on how many hours but looks fairly low time and also checked the spark arrester screen.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
these units are kind of known for the carb getting a little loose or the intake getting loose this will make it so the fuel does not go into the chamber also a big problem is the cylinders scoring and having bad compression, if you can see spark the color really does not count as the color is cause by the air around it that is being charged so when some say that do you have a blue spark or a orange spark that does not matter that can change with the air around you. I would have to say either the carb or intake have loosened or the chamber/cylinder is scored I have seen this a lot as I am a Poulan warranty center. first thing is to double check the carb and intake for being tight then if you can remove the spark plug and check the cylinder with a flash light or remove the muffler and take a look at the cylinder and report back your findings. will that work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the cover to the connecting rod, and the chamber was full of fuel. The cylinder is getting gas, the intake is tight, torked, and the carburator is priming. I put starter fluid in the spark plug hole, and tried to crank and not even a pop.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
judging by what you have stated the unit is either having compression problems or the coil is going bad. let me see if I can find a expanded view of this unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

removed spark plug and put thumb over the hole and very little compression if this helps some with my other reply.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

this unit should blow your finger back off the hole, without know what is in the cylinder (visual) that is where I would start check and see if you can view any markings in the cylinder, you should be able to see through the plug hole or remove muffler and move the piston up and down to make sure it is not scored I have had a lot of these in the past year that scored and I mean a lot well over 50 units. you have to have compression for it to fire. It is very likely that the cylinder is scored I use a bore scope to view and I understand that you may not have one but any marking vertical the cylinder is scored