Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

the light on the gear shift of a 1998 Audi A6 Avant is not

the light on the gear shift of a 1998 Audi A6 Avant is not do I change the bulb.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

In order to access and replace the bulb for the gear shift indicator on your vehicles shifter here the center console needs removed to access the bottom side of the shifter bezel.

Once this is removed then the electrical connection/socket is usually pulled down to release the bulb assembly then the bulb can be accessed for replacement.Make sure the correct bulb is installed as a hotter brighter bulb can cause excess heat and may cause problems later on like a melted lamp socket.

If you need more info on this at all let me know.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete