Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

my reverse just stop going in reverse, you wait around long

my reverse just stop going in reverse, you wait around long enough it kicks in.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Eclayton4 :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. Let me first ask, what make and model vehicle do you have? and how many miles are on it approximately? thanks.

Customer:

f150 2004 180.000

Eclayton4 :

Alright, First of all, did you check the fluid level? To be sure it is full, hot while idling in park? level surface? also, if you push the O/D lockout button, does that make any difference? Let me know.

Customer:

yes I did and yes I tried it in od off

Customer:

it hasn't been slipping or anything bout 3 months ago I did an transmission flushing and I maitanice it regular

Customer:

never had any problems but I did put a viper alarm in recently

Eclayton4 :

OK, In my opinion, the Reverse band servo seals are cut or hard, and not sealing well, or the reverse band itself is broken or damaged. Are all forward gears OK?

Customer:

so what do I need to do can I fix by myself

Customer:

a

Customer:

and what is

Customer:

and what is a s

Eclayton4 :

Let me post some pictures, give me just one second. thank you.

Eclayton4 :

Here is what the band looks like, if it is worn, you may see pieces of the friction material in the transmission pan when the pan is removed.

Full Size Image

Eclayton4 :

Here is the servo piston which pushes into the lug on the band.

Customer:

so I need to take it in , how much money am I looking at

Eclayton4 :

Full Size Image

Customer:

yea I need to take it in

Eclayton4 :

The servo piston itself is only around 20$. However, the valve body needs to come off to get to it, so I would say 2-300$ at an Aamco or Cottman trans. center. If the band itself has failed, you have to pull the trans. to remove the band, no way around it unfortunately. A rebuild or replacement possibly 1500 to 2500 depending on 4wd or not, and if any hard parts inside the trans. are damaged. However, I believe you are in good shape since you have all forward gears. I believe the Reverse Band Servo to be defective, and I believe it could be repaired for around 300$ 3 hours to remove the valve body and 30$ or less for the servo piston. Please let me know if you have anymore questions. thanks.

Customer:

thankn you now ill give you your rating

Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.