Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Dealer stated I needed a new transmission. My warrenty program

Dealer stated I needed a new transmission. My warrenty program would only over $1400.00 as that was the worth o my car. I took it to a transmission shop which i was referred to by several people. Now there is a weird problem that they can't solve.

Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My car is a 2003 Dodge Caravan SXT

New info. just happened today: As I was driving home from the sore about a 1/4 mile from my house, the instrument panel went crazy.

1. speedometer started going back and forth from 0 mph to 100mph.

2. The low gas warning light started going on and off

3. the gear shift positions light were flashing back and forth all settings (R-N-D-3-L

This new concern is going to be a instrument cluster that either has a faulty connection where as its reseting from a power or ground loss or the cluster itself has a failing processor board internally.

For this concern you will need to remove the cluster to start the inspection, if you need help doing that, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After i changed the instrument panel, I still have the following problems:
1. When the vehicle is totally stopped and in any gear, the speedometer bounces between 8mph to as high as 30 mph. when this is happening, the transmission Intermittently shifts between low and second gear.

2. The cruise control will turn on but it it wont set a cruising speed.

3. The automatic door lock system in in operatable. Using the door lock switched work fine.

These 2 issues are no longer occurring?

The low gas warning light started going on and off

The gear shift positions light were flashing back and forth all settings (R-N-D-3-L

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My 2003 Dodge Caravan still has the same Symptoms that I reported Thursday May 16 2013 9:15 PM EST . After I replaced the instrument panel.

The 3 problems listed below have been corrected.

3. the gear shift positions light were flashing back and forth all settings (R-N-D-3-L0

These THREE problems have not been corrected

2. The cruise control will turn on but it wont set a cruising speed.

3. The automatic door lock system is not working when you reach 25 mph . Using the door lock switch the locks work fine.
A scan tool needs to be used to see if the PCM is also seeing this speed signal change, if it is then the VSS signal wire to the PCM needs to be checked for chaffing, if none is found then the VSS sensor will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
your suggestion of changing the VSS Sensors or the VSS cable were done as I explained in my original question. New sensors were installed, when the problem presisted, they were warrantied out and exchanges and a nes VSS cable was installed.

A scan tool needs to be used to see if the PCM is also seeing this speed signal change?