Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

9000 cse turbo: I have 1997 Saab 9000 cse turbo and the belt

I have 1997 Saab 9000 cse turbo and the belt tension er needs to be replaced. the crack is in the bracket that holds the piece onto to engine. what is the best way to do it and what tools will I need.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

On some of these vehicles there is a recall out on this tensioner assembly for a bushing failing on this tensioner and the correction is to replace the bushing.If a bushing wear has caused this issue with the crack here then a new tensioner must be installed and in this case this may also be covered under warranty since it is due to the bushing related issue.The VIN range for this recall campaign is R1000001 to V1021491.If your vehicles VIN fits within this range then this should be checked into by a GM dealer to see if you can get this replaced under warranty.The campaign number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The procedure for replacing this tensioner that I show is:

1.Slacken the belt by applying a hard pull upwards
2.Remove the belt from one of the pulleys
3.Remove the tensioner mounting bolts and tensioner
4.Fix the belt tensioner in the compressed position by means of a locking pin tool number 83 94 388.
5.Upon installation lift the multi groove belt hard upwards and remove the lock clamp outwards.

This may be best done by someone that has this locking pin tool.

I hope this has helped and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete