Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS: I have a 2001 Eclipse spyder

I have a 2001 Eclipse spyder 2.4L. When the car is warm, it won't idle. It seems to have a misfire and will die suddenly at idle. If I let it cool down a bit I can start it and it will run for a while longer.
I'm getting codes of 325, 340 and 300. I've recently had the camshaft sensor and EGR valve, and sparkplugs replaced. I'm still getting these codes. How can I diagnose this problem?

Hi Curtis,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Code P0325 will set when a fault has been detected with the knock sensor signal,this can set when the knock sensor has failed or possibly even wiring at fault to or at the knock sensor.I would check to see if there is any wiring at fault to this sensor as well as the connection at the sensor itself.If any is found it needs repaired.If the wiring is o.k. and if you have a multi meter we can test and see if this is a faulty knock sensor.This can cause the timing to retard and the engine to run poorly and possibly even an engine stall out in some cases.

P0300 is for an engine misfire being detected,this may be related to the other codes that have set here,the other codes would need diagnosed and corrected and then see if this code resets again.

P0340 will set when a fault is detected with the cam sensor possibly or even wiring to this sensor or an internal fault in the computer itself.I would also check the wiring at and to this sensor to see if any wiring issues are found.If any are then they need repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for getting back to me. I live on the west coast so I didn't get your reply until a while ago. I did check the wiring to the knock sensor and found that it was disconnected. It may have been that way for a while. I had to have the heater core replaced last fall and it may have been disconnected then, I'm not sure. Anyway, I plugged it back in, cleared the codes and drove the car until 9 of the 10 codes were reset. (Evap system still needs more driving to reset). Knock sensor code didn't come back but I still get 300 (multiple misfire) and 340 cam position sensor. The car does stall on idle if I let it get below 1500 rpm. I can still hear misfire at all rpms.

I hope this helps. The cam position sensor was replaced by a local repair shop that I haven't used before. This shop seemed to have good reviews - could the sensor be faulty even if it's new?

It may be possible the new sensor is faulty but this is usually rare for this to occur/fail right away but I wouldn't rule it out.

The cam sensor wiring should be checked to make sure there is no damage to it as well as the connection/terminals in the connector are o.k.The signals to this sensor would need tested as well which usually requires an automotive scope to check the cam sensor pattern.

I hope this has helped,if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I decided to go ahead buy and another cam position sensor rather than leave work early to take it 40 miles to the dealer. I installed it in about 5 minutes last night and the car has been running fine.

Thats great to hear.If you need anything else in the future let us know.

Thanks Pete