hilltop4527
hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.

kia sportage: how do i remove the right front axle from diff

Customer Question

how do i remove the right front axle from diff housing on my 1997 kia (right hand drive) sportage?

the left one unblots and then comes away no problem, but there is no apparent way to disconnect the short right side!

anthony

Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Kia problem.

The end of the drive axle has a retainer ring. The drive axle should be able to be pried from the differential housing. You can also drive the axle out with a suitable bar placed against the inner cv joint pod, then hit the bar with a hammer.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dave thanks for advice,

i have the whole diff assembly out on the garage floor, I have tried to pop it out with a very long bar, using a hammer plus an extended lever the bit off fin that i was using to lever against broke off (no real damage)

what do i try next?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot drive the axle out of the housing, the housing will need to be split to remove the axle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so if i remove the housing the ring on the axle will be accesable?

and i will just be able to to remove the clip ring yes?

anthony

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Yes, once the housing is opened up you can get to the ring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

david problem!

i tried to remove the housing it came loose, on the side where the axle has been removed it seems quite free but on the side where the axle is in place it will not move much at all, when i pull on that side of the housing i can see it pulling the universal joint pod, it seem to me that the inner works are attached to the housing so the cunumdrum is that it apears in order to remove the housing i have to remove the axle!

so i hung the diff over the edge off the bench and secured the rotor and hub to the bench very firmley using a tie down then using a block of wood and a sledge hammer i whacked the diff downwards several times on either side but but it will not pop out, to hit it any harder would probabley cause damage

please advise asap-----------------anthony

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Possibly one of the other experts can help you more with this, as I have not had one that would not come out after splitting the case. I will opt out and put your question back to the top of the list. No need to reply to me as this will lock the question to me and no other expert can assist.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're okay with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, please find a kia expert to help me with this problem,

thankyou

anthony

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  hilltop4527 replied 1 year ago.
If you are talking about the cv axle that has the rubber boots on each end, they are usually removed with a pry bar with one quick pry not gradual pressure. However some of these can be stubborn. The big name parts stores have a slide hammer kit that has an adapter made especially for removing these axles. These kits can be rented. Basically how this works is you pay for the kit and get a full refund when you return it. I hope I have helped. If so please give me a positive rating and accept my answer so I can get credit for it. Thanks
hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hilltop4527, thankyou for your reply

i am not sure we are talking about the same thing? the axle i am refering to has 26 splines on the end and goes directly into the diff housing this one is very short and has a universal joint that is against the outside of the diff, the other side of the diff the axle is long and removes easily as it unbolts and just pulls out,

please clarify for me that we are on the same page

thankyou

anthony

The axle I was referring to is a constant velocity axle that is used in front wheel drives and has rubber boots. But the axle you are working on, though different attaches the same way and is removed the same way, so yes we are still on the same page. Thanks