ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
10832065

Triumph Spitfire: Is it possible to fit vacuum boosters to

Is it possible to fit vacuum boosters to a duel line brake system that didn't have them originally? I have been told this is not possible as it upsets the brake balance. I am not buying the argument. If system was balanced before, it should be balanced after boosters are installed as they are increasing the force only.
Any comments?
Category: Car
Expert:  ASE Master Tech 35yrs replied 1 year ago.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Glad to be of help. This does not upset the brake balance. The only question is whether or not there is enough room to fit the booster. You are correct in assuming it only increases the brake force. There is no reason you can't add one if space and availability is possible, and apparently there is since you can get one here: http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto+car-usa+parts+year/triumph+spitfire+power-brake-booster+1979.html

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format if you have more questions.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

The brake balance is controlled by the proportioning valve. The booster has nothing to do with it. If you have front disc/rear drum now you already should have this valve installed. If you are converting to disc, you will need this valve.

Let me know if you need more help.

Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel I could use a combined master/booster, like an MGB which is first link in system and ahead of the valve. Therefore would not have to use two remote units. Since the bore dia is similar this should work and cut down on piping. Thank you

That is the only way you can use it. Perhaps I misunderstood you. You cannot use two master cylinders. The dual port master has two separate sections, one for front brakes and the other for rear brakes, separated by the proportioning valve after master cylinder. The booster is behind master mounted to firewall with master bolted to front of booster. These are two separate units but work together. You can buy them new or rebuilt separately or you can buy them rebuilt together.

Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.