Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Suzuki Forenza: I have a 2004 Suzuki Forenza and when I set

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Suzuki Forenza and when I set the timing the #1 piston is not up. My question is. Does it supposed to be up? When I time it by the Diagram, 3 and 2 are up and 4 and 1 are down
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Yes- with the #1 piston at Top Dead Center, the crank mark should line up. If you have the crank mark aligned and #1 is not at the top, you're out of time- keep rotating the crank until #1 is at TDC and the mark on the crank is lined. Make sure you are using the correct mark on the crank. It should look like this:
graphic

Then set the cams:
graphic

Then install the belt.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to Rate My Service. Thank-you!

(Rating my answer does NOT close this thread - follow-up questions are always Free! Even after you Rate!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is the exact diagram I have, but the mark ends up on top instead of the bottom

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you are on the correct cylinder. #1 is the one closest to the passenger's side of the vehicle. The crank mark and the cylinder #1 TDC should be in sync unless something was replaced incorrectly. If you are just replacing a belt due to it breaking or just for maintenance, there's no possible way these shouldn't line up.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the head gasket and the #1 piston, but 4 and 1 comes up together. I just went and lined the crankshaft pulley with the mark and still #1 is down. I have timed a lot of cars and never had this problem, that's why im here. Still when I line it up the mark is at the top and not even with the mark on the rear timing belt cover. The pulley only goes on one way that's why im confused.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused myself! Ya got me on this one!

Tell ya what... let me opt-out and put the question back on the board for other Techs to take a look at. Try to hold off from replying or rating until you have a new Tech (this will lock the question to me and no other Techs can view it).

Sit tight one sec... someone will be right with you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

new expert here did you still need help ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

they time these engines at BDC as they time them where the # XXXXX piston is down on its way up for the compression stroke

if you align the bottom timing belt gear to the mark and the cams to the marks they should all align when the belt is on and # XXXXX piston should be all the way down

don't know why they did this but from what I heard with it being an interference engine that is how they had to time it with the marks

you can always get me through this post even after you rate us here at Justanswer with any follow up !