Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Rodeo: 2004 isuzu rodeo 3.5L, 3 cylinders on drivers side with

Customer Question

2004 isuzu rodeo 3.5L, 3 cylinders on drivers side with no compression, non interference engine. VVT problem? Sets a cam sensor code and P1690.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im Tom and I will be assisting you with your issue today .How many miles are on this vehicle ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Purchased car 3 months ago from a mechanic who overhauled engine. 5000 miles since overhaul. I think 80000.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a VVT sensor issue were these checked for proper operation .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. There are oil flow sensors on both cylinder heads. My next plan was to remove the power steering pump to get the driver side sensor out. Not sure how to check.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Once its removed you can see if its actually operating or if its clogged.Also will the mechanic the did the overhaul since its only 3 months fix this issue for you because its still covered under the 120 day lemon law if your state has that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mechanics daughter traded the car in. The purchase was from a dealer as is. I read somewhere that there is plastic parts in the cam timing belt gear that could also be the problem. Hard to find parts.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
yes thats where I was going next .Since there is no compression this is most likely the issue the cam is not turning for the drivers side bank.What you need to do next unfortunately is tear it down and remove the timing covers and crank it over and Im sure you will see thats the issue the drivers cam is not turning.This is the next step and unfortunately not an easy one.But once its apart you can see whats wrong and get whatever part you need from the salvage yard to save some money.These are the next steps.Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already pulled valve cover and verified camshafts timing. Both cam gears and all timing marks are correct. Everything turns and nothing is broken.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes but did you crank the engine over with the timing covers removed to see if there are any issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. no compression. Both cams are intact. When I pressurize each cylinder with air it seems to go out the exhaust on all 3 cylinders even with the camshafts lobes off the push rods. Assumed all 3 exhaust valves were either

bent or floated open

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
That's tell tale signition there bent been in this field over 20 years and you will need r to do a valve job or what I would do is replace the head with a salvage head. These are the next steps. Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The valves are fine. The problem was with the vvt timing belt gear and sensor like I thought. Pulling the head was a waste of time and $29 for your poor advice.