Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

My Lexus RX300, year 2000, runs fine except when I get to speeds

Customer Question

My Lexus RX300, year 2000, runs fine except when I get to speeds of 50mph or more. It sounds like it doesn't go into the last gear as it should. The RPM meter is around 4 when I'm running 60mph. I'd like to know if this is a difficult 'fix' and if I can harm the car by driving it until it is repaired.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is Pete and I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

From what you have described here it sounds like the transmission isn't engaging final gear as the r.p.m. shouldn't be this high at this speed.If your check engine light has come on with this fault the fault codes should be checked to see what codes have set.This will aid in the diagnosis of the fault and help with pinpointing this problem.

This may be caused by an electrical fault with one of the transmission sensors or solenoids or it may be a mechanical issue with an internal transmission components.It's difficult to pin point for sure from here without seeing and checking over the vehicle.

I dont recommend driving at to high of speed with the rpm reaching this high as this can cause wear on the engine and transmission components in some cases.This should be checked into as soon as possible and corrected.

Let me know if you need anything else here.

Thanks Pete