Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

2002 Ford Mustang with engine light on with trouble codes 1285

2002 Ford Mustang with engine light on with trouble codes 1285 and 1299; loss of power to the car; where is the problem
What size engine? Were there any other symptoms that lead up to the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3.8 literI changed airflow sensor, erased 1285 code and shortly after erased 'check engine light', about 20miles later the 1285 came back and came back with 1299

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

also: the car runs but not enough power to pick up speed on highway

five speed transmission std

P1285 refers to the cylinder head temperature sensor. Ford uses this as a coolant temperature sensor. Could be the sensor itself, wiring to it, the connector, or the computer. I would try a new sensor first! The P1299 refers to an overheating condition... so, has the car been getting hot lately? You may wish to check this out. If the engine temperature does not point to an overheating condition, then I would replace the sensor, and check the wiring. This is about as much as I can do over the internet... Canuck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the sensor has been ordered so i will not know till tomorrow if we are on track and I'm hoping it is , if not we will try some other option; thanks a lot . jose