Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Kia Sportage: Good evening! My friend has a 2002 Kia Sportage,

Good evening! My friend has a 2002 Kia Sportage, and the fuel pump runs constantly, even with key off. I have to disconnect the battery every time to keep from going dead. Swapped fuel pump relay with identical main relay, did not help.

I'd sure appreciate any insight or ideas about this issue. My friend is quite upset with me for not being able to figure this problem out. Thank you so very much!

Hi Leo,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If the ECM (engine control module) is failing internally or may be causing a constant ground to the fuel pump relay which may be keeping the fuel pump relay on keeping the fuel pump running,also the wiring from the ECM to the fuel pump relay if it is shorted to ground it can cause this to stay on like this here.Your main relay supplies voltage to one side of the fuel pump relay while the ECM supplies a ground,when both are present then the fuel pump relay is energizes and the pump runs.

If you have a multi meter or test light remove the pump relay and test the terminals it plugged into to see if you have one terminal that has voltage at all times,one terminals that is grounded at all times or possibly two that are grounded at all times and then test the third to see if it has voltage as well at all times.Let me know what you come up with here and I can let you know what circuit is at fault that needs checked to locate and correct this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Pete! Will give your kind and professional advice a try on Saturday, and let you know what happens.

Let me know if you need anything else here.

Thanks Pete