Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Kia Sportage: 1999 Kia Sportage will not start. Seemed to be

1999 Kia Sportage will not start. Seemed to be a transponder issue, not connecting with immobiliser. Local Kia dealer tells me there are 68 transponders on back order for Aus, with no idea on availability. Tried to cobble together another transponder, but still won't start... Has tried the bypass routine, which does work and will start, but would be too dangerous to rely on. Only have on key from previous owner which is quite stubby little thing. Kia workshop manual suggests any re-programming needs 2 keys minimum. Also used a spare bulb to replace rear brake light which may not be to spec - is a bit dimmer - apparently the immobiliser uses the same circuit as brake lights. Any ideas?

Hi Tim,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

You should be able to obtain only one key from the dealer when doing the reprogramming as most manufacturers recommend having two keys but in most cases isn't necessary if you only plan on using one key.

In some cases parts like this can be on back order if in high demand and can take some time to receive.If it has been diagnosed correctly as needing a new transponder then most likely with the back order here you would have to wait until a new one comes in.I don't know of the by pass procedure that was done on your vehicle here but if the vehicle starts and runs properly with it being done then you may be o.k. to drive it like this here until this is repaired.I don't recommend driving it to much though in case it fails and causes a no start issue.

I would also obtain and install the correct brake light bulb to see if this is causing any electrical interference with the vehicles starting/security system.I have never seen a bulb cause this type of issue with an immobilizer fault on any vehicles myself but it may be possible if it is causing electrical interference.I would replace the bulb with the correct bulb and check the operation from there.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pete,

Seems that Kia Australia will never fill that back order on transponders. Couple of very good locksmiths were previously able to supply them (also correctly noting that dealer would need to program them), however, they also no longer are able to source.

The problem now is the bypass has been disabled as well... looks like I've got a set of new Bridgestones under a pile of junk!

Tim

Have you tried to locate this part needed elsewhere and has the dealer said they will get this part at some point?

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Have tried Kia dealers on the east coast from Victoria to Queensland, also wreckers. No luck.

Tim

Does anyone have an estimated date when you would be able to receive this part?If it needs this component for sure to correct this issue in some cases back orders can take some time and you may have to wait for this to be available to correct this here.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete