Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

suzuki samurai: I have an 88 samurai just did an engine swap.

I have an 88' samurai just did an engine swap. the engine thats in it now has sat outside (covered) for around two years. I drained the oil in it and it looked very normal. Filled all fluids engine runs great. Ran it for close to 35 minutes and steam started coming out of valve cover vent hose. shut it off and engine oil is milky white. I drained oil and was going to run some clean oil through it to flush out the white before I tore into it. Thinking head gasket... well before I added any oil I checked the coolant level and it was low. So I added water and more water close to two gallon. Went add oil and got two quarts in and oil overflowed out of valve cover so i check dip stick and water pours out the tube!! HELP please whats wrong?

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

when it was smoking before you shut the engine off was it running on all 4 cylinders just before you turned it off ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. It had good throttle response and would idle

ok

now the big problem here is coolant is filling up the crankcase

this can only happen with a bad head gasket, cracked cylinder head or a cracked engine block

since no coolant is getting into the cylinders them selves that's what your up against im sorry to say

the best approach is remove the cylinder head and do a very good visual on the gasket if you see it blown out replace it and have the cylinder head sent out to be planed flat and checked for cracks and it should be ok

if the head gasket looks good send the head out to be pressure tested and checked for cracks and flatness if any of those show up during inspection have it planed of if cracked replace the head

if the head checks out and the head gasket checks out the block is cracked and will need to be changed im sorry to say