K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Oldsmobile Firenza: I have a 1984 Olds Firenza. It picked

I have a 1984 Olds Firenza. It picked up a rock in the timing belt which loosened and maybe caused the belt to skip. I have realigned the timing marks to the specks, but it idles rough and dies after short while. I am sick thinking the engine may be ruined. I'm unsure when this possible (skip) took place, I noticed roughness when exiting freeway then car stalled at stop sign. Is there anything that can be done to put this back in proper running order?

Hello and welcome back to Just Answer! You will need to perform a compression test to see if any valves may have bent when it jumped timing. If the valves are bent you will have to remove the cylinder head and have new valves installed. Let me know the results of your compression test and I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, sounds like you have confirmed what my fears were. A valve job would be beyond my experience. But the car has sentimental value to me, four of my little girls learned to drive in this car. So I must try to make
repairs needed, when I can make time. Thank you for your input, and I'm sure I will be calling in for help at that time.

I understand about sentimental value. I would be glad to help you when you start the repair. You can reach me directly here.