Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Engine fires right up, runs for sec or two, dies. this will

Engine fires right up, runs for sec or two, dies. this will repeat until battery dead. No miss or stall while running. No hesitation on cranking. No indicator lights are on when car running. It acts just like you turn off the ignition. It runs perfect for a second than dies. Checked fuel flow(appears to be getting plenty), don't know the pressure. Checked electrical connects (all appear to be clean/tight with no burn/blackened areas) Vacuum lines appear to be in good condition with no apparent degradation. Cannot check for vac leaks as car doesn't run for more than sec or two.
Hello, My name isXXXXX for using Just Answer.

What size engine is in the vehicle?

Have you checked for trouble codes using a scan tool or code reader?

Please let me know and I'll do my best to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't checked the codes. no scanner. The engine is a 2.4 L

Thank you. This start and stall condition is most commonly caused by a faulty Camshaft Position Sensor, which is mounted on the rear of the cylinder head, toward the middle of the engine compartment. This is a fairly common failure on this engine. If you could rent or borrow a scan tool or code reader, and a P0340 is stored, this supports the idea of a faulty camshaft position sensor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I'll see if I can get a scanner

No problem. Please let me know what you find out.

Remember, the code does not have to be present for the sensor to be considered faulty, but it is supporting evidence if you have a code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Alex, sorry to take so long to get back. Forgot to rate you. Anyways, your suggestion was right on the money. It was the cam position sensor.

Thanks for your help and, again, I apologize.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know what it was. I'm glad I was able to help.

Feel free to rate my answer at any time. Thanks again!