Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

olds intriuqe: I have a 1998 olds intriuqe v-6. trans problem

Customer Question

I have a 1998 olds intriuqe v-6. trans problem when I put it in D, it won't move, but it moves in d-1,d-2,d3, and R. the trans fluid is brownish and full. would it help if I drained the fluid, changed the filter and gasket? there are no leaks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

no engine lite on

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

if you manually shift it from d1 all the way up to d,,,what does it do when it gets in d?

tims auto repair :

does it act as if it goes to neutral?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

not good

tims auto repair :

ok,,the first thing you need to try here is to replace the transmission fluid and filter

tims auto repair :

a clogged filter could cause this

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

dont be surprised if it doesnt

tims auto repair :

it is very posible[from the way you explain] that the od clutch froictions are burnt out

tims auto repair :

if that is the case,,the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced

tims auto repair :

but..it is worth a shot to replace the filter,,i have seen a clogged filter do this

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Customer:

what are the od clutch froictions?

tims auto repair :

they are the cltches inside the transmission

tims auto repair :

sense the fluid has a brown tint to it

tims auto repair :

it is possible the trans is damaged

tims auto repair :

od+overdrive

Customer:

If I have the fluid and filter changed and it still has the same problem, will it hurt to drive it in d-1 thru d-3?

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

it wont hurt it no worse

tims auto repair :

but..you may also soon loose 3rd as well

tims auto repair :

in time

tims auto repair :

try the filter,,you may get lucky

Customer:

OK, thanks, I'll try changing the filter

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.