Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

how to separate steering rack from column and remove rack

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

what is the year,make and model?

Customer:

1999 e55 amg

tims auto repair :

amg?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

mercedes?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

onje moment please

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

66_mb97steer_fiche4-021a.png
Full Size Image

NOTE: Numbers in parentheses ( ) indicate a component or tool in the associated illustration.

REMOVAL
1. On models less level control, draw off oil from power steering pump reservoir
2. On models with level control, disconnect feed line from reservoir
3. On all models, remove ignition key and allow steering wheel lock to lock in position

NOTE: The steering wheel must not be turned when the steering coupling is detached, as the horn/airbag clock spring contact (A45) will be destroyed.

4. Press track rods (10) out of steering knuckle
5. If equipped, detach heat shields from steering cup seals
6. Unscrew high-pressure stretch hose (30i) and return line (30f)

NOTE: Seal pipe connections with blanking plugs

7. On models with level control, remove return line from steering gear by loosening the clip
8. On models with VEE type engines, detach heat shield from steering coupling (25)
9. On all models,carefully detach steering coupling (25) from control valve of rack-and-pinion steering (predetermined breaking point) on control valve

NOTE: Do not use force (hammer blows, a lot of leverage), expand clamp slot slightly with screwdriver, if necessary

10. On models with speed-sensitive power steering (SPS), disconnect connector (Y10x1)
11. Detach bolts (23g)
12. Unscrew bolts (23a) and remove rack and pinion steering (23) with retainer (19)

NOTE: Check rubber mounts of rack-and-pinion steering fixing for damage and replace, if necessary.

INSTALLATION
1. Install rack-and-pinion steering with retainer (19) and screw onto front axle carrier (1) with bolts (23a, 239), then tighten as follows:
- Rear Rack-and-Pinion Steering Bolts: 50 Nm + turn an additional 60°
- Front Retainer Plate on front axle carrier: 50 Nm

NOTE: Replace self-locking nuts

2. Turn rack-and-pinion steering (23) into the center position and install steering coupling (25)

3. Attach steering coupling (25), then tighten to: XXXXX XXXXX
- If equipped install steering coupleing heat shield
- Replace self-locking nut
4. Screw on return line (30f), tighten banjo bolt to: XXXXX XXXXX
- Replace sealing rings
5. Screw on high-pressure stretch hose (30i), tighten banjo bolt to: XXXXX XXXXX
- Replace sealing rings
6. On models with level control, attach return line to steering gear
7. On all models, attach track rods (10) to steering knuckle, then tighten to: XXXXX XXXXX
- Replace self-locking nut
8. Fill and bleed power steering pump. See: Steering > Procedures
9. On models with SPS, install connector (YlOx1)
10. On all models, check steering for function and leaks
- There is a grease pad: under the cap. slight escape of grease is considered normal and is not to be confused with leakage.
11. Check toe-in and adjust, if necessary

Customer:

I removed the bolt and the rack is ready to come off but cant pull it off

tims auto repair :

from the steering column rod coupler?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

you need to press it off[or knock it off]

Customer:

is there any tool to separate it

tims auto repair :

it fits tight..you need to knock it loose before you unbolt the rack so it will be solid

tims auto repair :

it may be hard to get loose if the rack is loose a givinhg

Customer:

I will need to rehook the rack and pry it open?

tims auto repair :

it bmay be easier to get it loose that way

tims auto repair :

may

tims auto repair :

sense the rack will be solid..so you can pry it off

Customer:

it wont break?

tims auto repair :

you have the bolt out..right?

Customer:

yes it was 1 bolt

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

it should pry off

Customer:

ok thank you!

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

take your time,,you will get it

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I will can ask another Q

tims auto repair :

yes,,i will try to help you

tims auto repair :

if i can

Customer:

I used stop leak for the leak that I had do I need to just drain or flush and how

tims auto repair :

what type of stop leak?

Customer:

I forgot the name

Customer:

really not sure

tims auto repair :

was it an oil base?

tims auto repair :

how much did you put in it?

Customer:

one min I will get the container

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

lucas stop leak

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

i think you will be ok...just let all you can drain out of the hoses

tims auto repair :

then refill

tims auto repair :

i dont think the lucas will cause any problems

Customer:

ok all set thanks

tims auto repair :

BB00.40-P-0236-03A Steering gear oils (ATF)

MB236.3 steering gear oil ...................................... A 000 989 88 03
Fuchs ................................................................ Titan PSF
Gulf .................................................................... ATF MX
Liqui Moly ............................................... Lenkgetriebe oil 3100
Megol ................................................ Lenkgetriebeoel Stability

tims auto repair :

you are welcome

Customer:

that's what I should use?

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

SUBJECT:
All Passenger and Light Truck Models

Flow Noises from Area of Power Steering Pump and/or Foaming of Power Steering Oil in Reservoir

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of flow noises from the area of the power steering pump, and/or foaming of the power steering fluid in the reservoir following work carried out on the hydraulic steering system; this may be caused by an improper procedure followed for filling fluid and bleeding of the hydraulic power steering system.

To remedy, it is absolutely necessary to make sure that the procedure described in the WIS documents is strictly adhered to. In particular, it is necessary to turn the steering to full lock-to-lock at least 30 times BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE. If this is not done prior to starting engine, there is a high risk of air entering the steering system, which is subsequently very difficult to eliminate.

NOTE:
Starting the engine prior to bleeding can cause irreparable damage to the power steering pump and will cause an air cushion to form in the steering gear which causes noise. Once the air is ingested, the ingested air will only dissipate after driving the vehicle for more than 30 miles.

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.